Crease Above Belly Button - what's the cause and how can I get rid of it? (photos)

I am 2 1/2 months post-op from a mommy makeover. I have had this crease above my belly button since day one. I am wondering what caused this and what will help it go away?

Midline creases after tummy tucks

+1
can happen when a high lateral type closure is done where tissue are pulled medially and the redundancy that ends up in the middle causes the crease.  To get rid of it, you would have to consider either filling it with fat grafting or excise it with an anchor tummy tuck technique.  With weight loss, this crease is aggravated even more.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon for more options.

Crease Above Belly Button - what's the cause and how can I get rid of it?

+1
Good morning and thanks for your question. It appears as though you had a significant weight loss. Whether with diet and exercise or surgically, sometimes the patient is left with significant residual skin in the vertical and horizontal directions. A straight forward TT will take care of the excess skin in the horizontal plane but will not address the excess in the vertical plane.

What you have is an excess in the vertical plane and the only way to take care of that is by direct excision which would mean that you would have an up and down scar. Most patients prefer not to have the up and down scar and are content to have the excess skin in the vertical plane.

Look up "fleur de lis" tummy tuck. This is where a combined incision on both the vertical and horizontal plane are performed at e same time. The advantage is that you get a tightter skin fit around the waist. The drawback is that you have an additional scar that cannot be covered up. Good luck.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD