Old Saline Solution-saline Leakage?

Hi, my question is does saline solution go " bad"? If the solution is in the implant for years, it breaks and it leaks into your body, does it get bacteria on it for sitting inside the silicone bag forso long?

Saline Solution Leakage?

+2

Of all the intact implants I have taken out only one pair had abnormal looking contents, and it turned out the original surgeon had mixed betadine with the saline, given it a brown color. I used to culture those leaking saline implants that still had some fluid, and all were negative. Although these patients did get antibiotics at the start of surgery, there is no circulation going to the inside of the implants, so the cultures were valid. 

This thought needn't be high on the worry list.

Thanks and best wishes.

Saline In Implants Does Not Become Infected Over Time

+2

Although there is a possibility of contaminating the saline placed at the time of surgery (very unlikely), the saline does not become infected or otherwise change significantly with time.  I have had saline implants deflate 20-25 years after placement with no ill effects other than the need for replacement.

John Whitt, MD

Saline Breasts Implants go “Bad” with Time?

+2

No, saline solution in breast implants generally do not not go “bad",  despite being implanted many years ago.  Although, I am sure there are exceptions to this rule, the majority of patients who  experience a breast implant leak, do not become ill/septic/bacteremic  when this leakage occurs. Also, I have not had the experience of operating on a patient for revisionary breast augmentation, and encountering a saline breast implant that has become contaminated or colonized with bacteria or fungi ( despite the horror stories that are available online).