Did my Radiesse injections leak out of my cheeks because of the cannula method? What happened? Can it happen again?

I had radiesse injections in my Cheeks in several locations. One location was injected with the canula method at the outer lower cheekbone (injection site )to up under the skin towards the inner tear trough. On my way home. I noticed a whitish/pale pink baking powder like subtstance leaking out of the injection site,wiped it off, more leaked again. Was this RAdiesse ? what went wrong? It did this 3-4 times , with tiny amounts (size of plastic pin head) and then put a bandaid on. Common problem?

Cannula with Radiesse

+4
I have never heard of such a thing, but the only explanation I can think of is that a large-bore needle was used to make the opening for the cannula. If a smaller-gauge needle is used to make the opening, and the #Radiesse is not massaged after you leave the office, this should not happen again. Keep the skin meticulously clean until it heals fully.

Unusual for Product to leak Out

+2
With the cannula you have to make a larger pucture wound which allows you to insert the cannula.  The cannula used is larger than the needle that typically comes with the syringe.  That might explain the leakage of material

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cannula Technique for Radiesse

+1
The cannula technique can certainly cause a leak of filler but it should be of no cosmetic consequence. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon