Calcium Hydroxyapatite or Silicone Implants For Flat Midface?

Hi. I have a flat midface, paranasal retrusion etc. I would like to correct this, but i just don't know what would be better, silicone implants or calcium hydroxyapatite leves. what will give me more projection - implants or hydrxyapatite levels? I would like to have more convex face as my midface is pushed in and this really makes me look unattractive. I am 28, had braces for my crossbite and now my bite is perfect, but i still have this concave face with deep nasolabial folds. Thank You

Injectable Fillers vs Implants For MIdface Deficiency

+2

Significant midface deficiency is best treated long-term by facial implants. Injectable fillers have a role as a reversible trial to see if the facial changes are favorable. But at your young age, injectable fillers are a very expensive treatment that will have to be repeated at least once a year for the rest of your life. There are numerous good midface implant options from the cheeks to the paranaal region that can provide good projection to he flatter concave face.

Options for flat midface

+1

Silastic (silicone) cheek implants are the best treatment for a maxillary retrusion.  The cheek implants are usually placed in the malar position and come in different sizes, including small, medium, large, and extra large.  We use the Implantech brand of silastic cheek implants and have had excellent success with them for over 20 years.  The implants are placed through the intraoral approach usually under a brief general anesthesia.

Fill cheeks with fat for a natural looking result

+1

A wide variety of facial implants are currently available for the enhancement of the skeletal elements of facial aesthetics. The most commonly used facial implants are used to enhance the profile of the chin and the cheeks. Facial implants very widely not only in shape and style, but also in terms of the materials from which they are fabricated.

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat grafting.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fillers vs permanent implants for midface

+1

Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon