Too Much Skin for Hybrid Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi, I'm interested in a modified/hybrid tummy tuck. I've had 3 kids and am in otherwise great physical shape. I'm 5'6 and 120 lbs and narrow/athletic. I need more tightening than a mini... i have a large diastasis that goes all the way up and creates a "5 months pregnant" protrusion. I do have some excess skin but i'm not interested in the hip to hip scar of a full TT and therefore would love to hear that i could attain decent results from a smaller procedure. Would love your opinion...THANKS!

Options for a tummy tuck.

+2

Instead of a full regular TT, with a long hip to hip incision and an incision around the belly button, you may consider a "Umbilical Float" TT where the incision can be placed very low on the abdomen and would be slightly shorter than a full TT and avoids the incision around the belly button.  The "umbilical float" does shift the belly button slightly lower on the abdomen so whether you would be a good candidate for this could only be determined after a examination.  Your diastasis could easily be fixed via this approach as well, leading to a flatter abdomen and firmer, smoother skin.

"Hybrid" Tummy Tuck Candidate? him him him

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures, I think that you are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck operation. Any “lesser” operation will not suffice. The repair of the abdominal wall diastasis must be done from the xiphoid down to the pubic bone and the entire residual “excess” skin must be excised ( otherwise you will be left with “dog ears”, necessitating further surgery).

Be careful that you do not end up with an aesthetically unpleasant result  as you attempt to keep incision lines shorter.

Too Much Skin for Hybrid Tummy Tuck?

+1

My opinion based upon the posted photos and written description is a Full incision TT with muscle repair. The hybrid or short scar will leave you with lateral excess skin or dog ears. 

Hybrid tummy tuck

+1

There are at least two procedures between a mini tummy tuck and a full tummy tuck.  A longer incision at the lower abdomen will enable us to tighten the entire diastasis. It is often not necessary to make an incision around the belly button.

Another option is to advance the skin of the upper abdomen and close the old belly button hole horizontally or vertically.

A full tummy tuck may leave you with an unnecessarily long and high incision.  This is especially the case with tall ladies who have not gained a great amount of weight during their pregnancies.

we do not perform the umbilical float procedure because of the frequently non anatomical appearance and odd mobility of the belly button.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck is an option

+1

A "tummy tuck" is a very general term applied to a procedure to improve the appearance of the abdomen.  It is composed of 3 steps:

1. Skin removal
  2. Subcutaneous fat removal
  3. Muscle tightening

Every person is built differently, therefore every tummy tuck is customized to the individual person.  As an example, some people need muscle tightening and skin removal but no or little fat removal.  That is the situation with TuckThis2468. 

The length and position of the scar does vary also, in this case I believe you can place the scar very low and limit the length of the scar nicely. My approach would be with an umbilical float to eliminate the umbilical scar.  I would anticipate a beautiful result with a well hidden scar.

Make sure you choose a board certified "plastic surgeon" to perform your procedure.  Recently, more non plastic surgeons are venturing into tummy tuck procedures with disastrous results.  Just in my town alone we have OB/GYN and eye doctors performing these procedures!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Too Much Skin for Hybrid Tummy Tuck?

+1

I think you would have a mediocre result with anything less than a full TT. Attempts to close a large diastasis without attention to the excess skin often result in buckling and the skin is dragged toward the midline as the muscle is tightened. 

My opinion--see a plastic surgeon, look at photos of the results and of the scar after a year of healing. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.