How Long After Mommy Makeover Before I Will Have to Urinate? I Have a 3 1/2 Hr Drive.

I live 3 1/2 hours from the surgery center where I am having my mommy makeover. I don't know if I will make it home before I will need to urinate and I don't want to use a public restroom. I am also worried about the long drive home. I will have a pain pump. I hope that helps make the drive easier so I can handle it.

Mommy Makeover and 3.5 Hour Drive

+1

I prefer that my out-of-towners stay local for a few days but at least a day.  Staying in a hotel closeby makes sense.  An early complication like hematoma is much easier to deal with if you are local.  Furthermore, a 3.5 hour drive needs to be broken up into three hour long stretches with leg stretching in between to prevent blood clots from developing in the legs.

Plan to stay close to your surgeon for at least a day after mommy makeover.

+1

I would strongly discourage a patient of mine to drive 31/2 hours immediately after extensive surgery (mommy makeover).  Not to mention urination, complications do occur and the quicker they are dealt with, the better the outcome. 

Surgery and long drive

+1

You are having a major surgery and 3.5 hr is along drive after this type of surgery. I recommend that any patient with over 1.5 hr drive to stay over night near my office for at least one night. It is both more comfortable for my patients and for me. This way if there are any issues that night I can see them easily and take care of the problem.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Travel after long surgeries

+1

It strands to reason that these are long surgeries and the risk of complications increases after long procedures. Having said this, you will likely be in some significant but manageable, pain but not to travel with; you will need to keep up with your pain medication on a scheduled basis. I strongly recommend that you consider staying near your doctors office and that you consider hiring a nurse or professional nurses aid, (or recruit someone in your family of friends that is a nurse), to stay overnight with you. In fact, I recommend that patients stay for two nights. It hurts!! I request that anyone who lives more than an hour away from the office to stay nearby. Pain pumps help to reduce the pain, but in no way does this help for the degree pain that you typically will have,  that you should consider traveling. It is about your safety too: I always see these patients the next day, in their hotel, or at their home to make sure that everything is ok. I request that a nurse stays until at least the next night. This sounds expensive, right, but it is worth it! They will give your spouse or family member a sleep break, monitor you, as well as be a great resource in educating your caretaker. Good Luck 

David R. Stephens, MD

Do not spend 3 1/2 hours in a car after a mommy makeover surgery!

+1

I do lots of operations on out-of town patients, but require all that live more than a short car drive away (I like Dr. Schlesinger's 25 mile radius, but depending on traffic, I'd rather say anything farther away than 40 minutes driving time) stay in a nearby hotel overnight. I then see them the next morning before they drive the remaining distance, and ask that the patient move her feet and legs, as well as get out of the car and walk a short distance every 45 minutes, to minimize the risk of blood clots. This risk is highest immediately after surgery!

Not to mention needing to urinate! Our recovery room nursing staff has every patient successfully urinate prior to leaving our surgical facility, so most patients would be able to make it 4 hours before having to re-visit the toilet. I agree about public restrooms, especially after surgery! Think flesh-eating bacteria! Or Zombies! (Sorry, bad humor)

Stay close by after surgery--your surgeon will appreciate it, and you will be glad you did as well. The trip the next day will be much easier, and much less likely to cause nausea and vomiting! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Stay Within a 25-Mile Radius The Night After A Mommy Makeover

+1

I hope you reconsider driving 3-1/2 hours after a Mommy Makeover.  The ride is going to be tedious, the pain pump will help, but if anything goes wrong or if there are questions that require your plastic surgeon seeing you, this can lead to a very uncomfortable, if not medically dangerous, problem for both you and your plastic surgeon.

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own way of dealing that first post operative week, and I am sure your plastic surgeon has discussed that first post operative night with you. 

In my practice, we do not allow patients to travel more than 25 miles from our surgery center the night after surgery.  Also, with reference to urinating, since Mommy Makeovers usually take over 4 hours, we put a Foley catherer in and leave it until the next day.  Some people find it annoying, but a lot less annoying than having to get out of bed to urinate multiple times that uncomfortable first night.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Long Drive Home After Mommy Makeover

+1

Based on your surgery and long ride home, you may be more comfortable to spend the night in a hotel near your surgery center. It will also allow you to be closer to your surgeon and be seen the next day of needed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Consider staying in a local recovery retreat or hotel

+1

Nomoreflap: At the risk of loading your bill, it might be wise to stay one night in a local recovery retreat or hotel, after your MM.  Your PS and staff will be able to make recommendations.  Depending on how frequently you urinate, you may need assistance going to the bathroom, taking meds, emptying drains and having meals.  The pain pump will make your eventual trip home more comfortable. I completely understand your reluctance to use public restrooms.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Staying Close to Your Surgeon Is Wise After Travelling for Plastic Surgery

+1

Patients often travel from significant distances for cosmetic procedures in certain parts of the country.  While very uncommon, complications after procedures such as a Mommy Makeover can occur.  If addressed expeditiously, your recovery can be kept on track. At a minimum, most surgeons would recommend staying at least overnight for a quck follow-up visit on postoperative day one after this type of procedure.  Some would recommend staying a bit longer in a nearby hotel,  While it will increase the cost of the procedure slightly, it will certainly help give you some peace of mind.  Best of luck with your procedure.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about Traveling after Mommy Makeover?

+1

As you can imagine, there is no way to predict exactly how long after you depart the facility you will need to urinate.  Regardless, it may be wise for you to remain closer to your plastic surgeon (if at all possible) given the extent of surgery planned.