Do You Need Implants with a Benilli Lift?

I would like a subtle lift without implants, with reduction of my areolas. I don't really want scarring or an extreme uplifted look.

Do I Need Breast Implants Along With A Benelli Mastopexy?

+2

Benelli mastopexies are very often done when a patient wants to remove the implants, reduce the areola, and get a small lift without excessive scarring.  Interestingly enough, I am doing a Benelli mastopexy on a patient this month who has had implants in for several years, has decided not to keep her implants, but wants a small lift. 

The Benelli or circumareolar mastopexy has the advantage of doing exactly what you are looking for, areola reduction, lift and minimal scarring.  With or without implants, this is an excellent alternative to a vertical mastopexy, classical mastopexy or dual plane mastopexy. 

Attempts at areola reduction without a circumareolar permanent suture are fraught with complications or one must add in a vertical scar, which very often is exactly the scar patients are trying to avoid.  I lectured for 12 years with Louis Benelli at ASPS and ASAPS meetings, and have personally done over 300 Benelli mastopexies.  I routinely do this surgery at least monthly. 

If you are interested in seeing a video on the Benelli mastopexy, you can find it on my website breastimplantcenterofhawaii.com.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Superior alternative to the Benelli lift

+1

A Benelli lift can be done without implants.  However, Benenlli lift only changes the position of the areola on the breast mound.  It does not change the position of the breast mound on the chest wall.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift that lifts the breast mound.  This technique uses a circumareola approach, which results in scars identical to the Benelli.  It can reduce the size of your areola, elevate your breast tissue higher on the chest wall to increase upper pole fullness, displace breast tissue more medial to increase cleavage and reshape your breast to increase projection.  This can be adjusted to your desired amount.  You may be an excellent candidate for this new procedure.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Lift may be all you need

+1

A Benelli lift can achieve a reduction of the areola as well as give you a subtle lift, with less scarring than a full lift.
Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if your goals can be achieved by this procedure.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Bennelli lift without implants

+1

The Bennelli or periareolar lift is a great operation in patients who only need modest improvement and have minimal to moderate ptosis. The implants add volume in the upper pole and may not be necessary for all patients.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Benelli lift is very limited.

+1

In my opinion, the Benelli lift is very limited but that being said, in some patients it is just the right operation.  If a patient has oversized, puffy nipples and/or a mild tubular deformity, a Benelli can provide a lot of improvement.

If a patient really needs a full vertical lift and is just trying to avoid that vertical scar, I think a Benelli will likely compromise the breast shape.  I think patients and their doctors are asking for problems when asking too much from a Benelli.  Those problems include a weird blunted shape and/or a stretched out areola.  I have learned this the hard way!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Benelli mastopexy

+1
Implants and breast lift procedures do not necessarily need to be done together. It depends on your examination and your goals. If you are happy with your size, then you do not need implants. A Benelli breast lift may be used to reduce the areolar size and give a small lift to the breasts. All breast lift and implant surgery leave scars. The Benelli procedure will leave a scar around the areola. Silicone sheets or gel may be used during the healing process to help the appearance of the scars. Good luck to you.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Benilli lift with implant

+1

The most important determining factor is the amount of breast tissue and the degree of breast sagging you currently have. If you wish to reduce the areolas and a moderate breast lift without adding a lot of volume, then you should benefit from a Benilli breast lift. The skin reduction is modest compared to other type of breast lift but Benilli lift gives you the least amount of scar. One of the drawback of Benilli lift without implant is occasionally you get a somewhat flattened appearance of the breast. Of course a small breast implant will resolve that. If you still want to add a little volume but without the implant, I have also added small volume of autologous fat graft to provide a little more fullness at upper part of the breast without adding breast implant and the weight of the implant.

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Hello

+1

Without seeing you or at least a picture we cannot give you adequate advice. We can’t see the breast tissue and without knowing your history it would be very hard to give you good advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

If you are content with your current  breast size and need only a modest lift, a Benilli, or circumareolar lift is your best choice. Occasionally there may be anatomic considerations that make this a less acceptable choice, but an in person consultation can sort all that out. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

You do not need implants with a Benelli lift

+1

You touched on some great points with your question and comments. You do not need implants with a Benelli breast lift. You stated that you want a subtle lift. A Benelli-type lift, with an incision around the areola, is great for achieving small amounts of lift. It does not work as well if you need a more significant lift. It is important to address your expectations with regard to scarring, because any lift creates scars. Even the Benelli lift with its scar around the areola leaves visible changes to the breast. Scars from these lifts around the areola can heal very well, but they never fade completely. An important component of getting a great scar from a Benelli lift is not trying to lift too much.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon