Ear Cartilage for Revision?

How dependable is ear cartilage? I come across in web searches that it warps/shifts/migrates/dissolves.... Is this more or less common? I need a revision and am scared of, worse than my nose looking bad off the bat, it looking good and then warping down the line. Before and after pics online don't help because most surgeons don't have photos showing patients more than a year out. I desperately need this to be my final surgery but fear it won't be a long-term answer. I'd love some more insight!

Ear cartilage for revision rhinoplasty

+2

Ear cartilage is in excellent source of material used to reconstruct the nose  for revision rhinoplasty.  It is best use nasal cartilage first, and then ear cartilage  if the nose has been depleted of cartilage for grafting purposes. In general, ear cartilage does not shift, migrate or dissolve and stays in place  over time and has been an excellent  source of grafting material for many years in our revision rhinoplasty practice

Ear cartilage for revision?

+1

The best option really depends on the needs of the patient and the purpose of the cartilage. In general, autologous cartilage (cartilage harvested from your own body) is the best grafting material to restore the framework of your nose.  Septal cartilage is my first choice.  But in many cases, there may not be enough available, or the cartilage from the septum may be compromised.  Using a PDS plate with ear cartilage is now a good choice, and can be a second option after septal cartilage. With my cases, I assess the situation and determine what type of cartilage will allow me to accomplish what I set out to do during surgery and leave the patient with the best possible result. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Cartilage options for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Miss K

• It seems normal that you are apprehensive about a revision procedure and want this to be your "final surgery"
  • Cartilages from any site can change with time, but severe warping and migration is rare
  • The ear cartilage is really a good option for smaller revisions while rib grafting may necessary if support is needed.
  • Most important is your communication with your surgeon and your understanding of potential risks and benefits.

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Cartilage for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Having used ear cartilage in revision rhinoplasty for 35 years I've not had problems with warping after placement. Success will depend on how the cartilage is used. Warping is much more of a problem with rib cartilage grafts.

Revision Rhinoplasty using ear cartilage

+1

Miss K: 70% of my Rhinoplasty  practice is revision using cartilage grafting. Over these 34 yrs my choices are 1) Septal cartilage if present is usually my first choice. 2) I use ear cartilage or Homograft Irradiated Rib Cartilage when septal cartilage is not available or  not preferable and depending on the requirements of correcting the deformity. 3) I have not experienced resorption or warping with these techniques and I find the results are stable long term (some 30 yrs).

Best wishes

Richard Maloney MD

Naples Fl

Richard W. Maloney, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its qutie reliable if properly used

+1

Ear cartilage can be extrememly useful in nasal surgery.   For the most part, I prefer septal cartilage over ear cartilage if septal cartilage is available.   But ear cartilage can be extremely useful for certain procedures and revision cases.

Good Luck,

Dr. Lane F. Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Ear Cartilage for revision rhinoplasty?

+1

The cartilage of the ear is an excellent resource in rhinoplasty mainly for treatment of the nasal tip, the appropriate managing  provides good and permanent results without deformation  or reabsorption. my  personal experience using the cartilage of the ear is very encouraging, but I always use septal cartilage as first choice  with excellent results.

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Using ear cartilage for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Ear cartilage can be a very useful source of cartilage for grafting during rhinoplasty. In my experience it has a very low risk of warping, shifting, dissolving, etc.

You can read more about ear cartilage grafting at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Ear Cartilage for Revision

+1

Ear cartilage is commonly used for rhinoplasty surgery.  Everything depends what the ear cartilage is going to be used for as there are many uses for cartilage--e.g. structural component for support, to help raise the bridge or tip, etc.  Depending on what it is going to be used for, the cartilage will be prepared differently.  To prevent warping, for example, if cartilage is going to be used to raise the bridge, I generally dice it to avoid warping.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Ear Cartilage for Revision?

+1

In general, larger pieces of cartilage that are not weakened have the most tendency to warp.  Smaller pieces that are finely formed perhaps with fascia coverage is more likely to create a smooth transition.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA