C02 Laser or Another Laser?

for acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and bulbous of nose. i believe c02 laser would be the best option. however, i also heard that co2 tends to tighten skin and that is something i do not want since, i am a guy and it would seems weird, so are there any other laser out there that will be as effective as the c02 laser and not cause this? thanks

Acne Scars and Thicker Male Skin

+1

It is hard to suggest the best laser therapy without assessing your unique skin anatomy in person.  Both C02 and erbium can play a role in resurfacing.  I tend to favor fractionated C02 for acne scar procedures with a series of treatments.

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/laser-resurfacing.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

LASERS

+1

I would be careful with CO2, it is probably the least predictable in terms of pigmentation outcome. If you want to deal with acne scars you will need a lot of energy and you may end up with pigment changes you dont like. I suggest using a radiofrequency device platform

C02 Laser or Another Laser?

+1

Thank you for your question. The tightening will be at a level that will not be too obvious.  Usually, even with the tightening experienced, patients still want more, so do not be too afraid of the tightening.  It will be subtle. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Co2 for acne scars, hyperpigmentation and bulbous nose

+1

Your skin will tighten but it won't really make you look wierd. For Acne Scars I would use a multilayered approach.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

CO2 laser and skin tightening

+1

CO2 laser is the best laser and in fact the best treatment for acne scars in general. It also treats hyperpigmentation well. It can no decrease the bulbous tip of the nose unless this is a condition called rhinophyma which is much less frequent thqan the usual large cartilages causing a bulbous tip. CO2 lasers do tighten the skin but not a lot and certainly not like a facelift. The laser can be used at different settings that will influence how much tightening there is. You would be best served to see a plastic surgeon who is able to determine the best methods of treatment not only for the skin problems but also for the tip of the nose.

Fractional co2 treatment for the face and acne scars

+1

The fractional co2 laser works well to resurface and retexture the skin in cases of scarring.  I would advise this laser for most acne scar treatments as it is highly safe and effective. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/10/co2-laser-skin-resurfacing.aspx

Fractional CO2 great for Acne Scars

+1

Fractional CO2 has become our best weapon in the treatment of acne scars, as it is safe and effective.  Tightening of the skin does occur, but this is mild and does not result in an abnormal look.  Improvement of pigmentation may also occur, but it would depend upon your particular pigment issues which would be best assessed in consultation.  Topical agents, chemical peels or other lasers may be right for your pigment concerns.

For the bulbous nose, a combination of ablative laser (CO2, Fractionated CO2, Erbium), electrocautery and/or surgical debulking may be necessary-- again, depending upon the actualy anatomy of your concern.

Be sure to consult with a  Board Certified physician such as Dermatologist who is expert in laser therapy to get your best treatment plan and results.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser

+1

In general favor using fractional CO2 laser.  Gives best combination of improvement and easier recovery.  Should improve your appearance.  May need supplementation with an Erbium laser to maximize the results. Be sure to see an experienced laser surgeon who performs the procedure and does not delegate it to a staff member.  Unlikely to have any excessive skin tightening that you are concerned about.  Have your physician determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure and discuss possible outcomes. 

Bulbous nasal tip can have more than one cause

Requires examination to determine whether this procedure should be used to treat your nasal tip.  Depending on the cause of the bulbous tip a rhinoplasty may be a better procedure.

Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser is best for acne scars

+1

Though there may be some tightening with use of the Fractional CO2 laser ( Fraxel Re:Pair for example) don't look at this as a negative. It will not be excessive and is one of the mechanisms of improvement.A bulbous nose may require more aggressive treatment . I usually use a combination of pulsed CO2,pulsed erbium and fractional CO2. The Fractional Erbium (Sciton for example ) can also be used to treat acne scars and if you really are opposed to tightening, this laser gives less tightening. You really need a consultation with a Dermatologist who is expert with lasers.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

CO2 vs Fractional CO2 vs Erbium fractional for acne scarring - the real scoop

+1

It is a bit confusing with all the new lasers out there.  It's even more confusing that the lasers can be set aggressively or conservatively, and achieve totally different results (or complications).  And every patient and their skin type plus any underlying sensitivities is different, yet another variable.

It's nice to go to somebody who has all the lasers, plus considerable experience in using them, and can select the right laser for the job.

For acne scarring we weigh all the factors and often decide to do conservative ablative CO2 resurfacing as our go-to procedure for patients with acne scarring.

Here's the rub.  This treatment will not usually completely remove acne scarring, and many acne patients will do anything to 'get rid of' the acne scars.

However, we only have one dermis, and, with a few minor exceptions, we can't make more dermis, so it's important not to over-resurface in order to get a better result now, and face depigmentation, whiteness, shininess or prolonged healing later.

A responsible surgeon will look at your face long term, not just try to sell you on a fancy 'laser package' now.

One of the misconceptions is that fractional laser, either with the CO2 or the erbium laser, does not result in the complications above.  This is wrong.  I have seen many patients with these problems from well-intentioned but aggressive repeated 'Medi-Spa' treatments.  

Remember, it's your face.