I Have Had Four C-sections and Currently Overweight. Will I Be a Good Candidate for TT?

I currently in the process of diet and exercise regime to lose weight but as my mid-section is shrinking my lower abdominal is not going anywhere. I really considering tummy tuck and wanted to know if it is safe for me since I have had four c-sections?

Candidates for Tummy Tuck

+2

For somebody who has had several children and has widening  of the rectus muscles or diastasis on the lower half of the abdomen, they are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck if they have redundant skin. One should consider being within 10% of their ideal body weight before considering an abdominoplasty. Also, concomitantly I routinely perform liposuction for the lateral flank area for shaping and contouring.

C-sections (even multiple) do not prevent Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi there-

The fact that you have had multiple c-sections would not compromise your ability to safely have a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty.

The only way to know if your current weight and medical condition compromises the achievement of your goals or your safety is to visit a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for a consultation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

+2

The C Sections really wont make a difference, but the closer you are to your target weight, the better your result will be...and more long term!!! Successful surgery can require a lifestyle change and the investment is really worth it in the long run!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Questions about a tummy tuck

+2

It is extremely common for women who have undergone tummy tucks to have had 1 or more previous C-sections so this is not an issue. You may very well be a candidate for a tummy tuck. It would be wise to continue losing weight until you get down to a satisfactory or ideal weight for your height and frame - as at that point you may be able to obtain the best possible contouring results.

You should seek one or more consultations from board certified plastic surgeons in your area who can then review all the relevant issues with you.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

C-section

+2

The previous c-sections do not have an impact on the safety of the surgery. You will need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate

Michael Hueneke, MD

C-section and abdominoplasty

+2
Many abdominoplasty patients have undergone Caesarean sections and their abdomens don't snap back, particularly after two. Since you've had four c-sections, there will be scarring that has to be dissected out during the abdominoplasty but this is routine for an experienced plastic surgeon. If you are in the process of weight loss, good for you! Lose the weight, remain stable for six months, and you will be good to go for surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Abdominoplasty and C-Section

+2

I could understand from your question, that you are concerned on the risk or the C-S would be the obstacle for the TT, which is not. With the data you mentioned you will benefit a lot from the Abdoimnoplasty to shape your waist and body. Although, I would rather you added more data on your general health, Weight , Hight, and Bmi, as that which is matter in term of the risks you might have with such a procedure.

If you are saying you are considering weight loss and fitting your self in preparation for this surgery, I back you up and encourage you to do so. At the end you should have a superior results when you are ready and fit and chose   a qualified surgeon to do it.

The best.

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Surgery Candidate?

+2

Based on your description, I think you will be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. The previous C-sections will not hinder an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in performing this operation for you. The scar tissue that results from these previous C-sections  will be dissected off the abdominal wall; the  abdominal muscles can then be brought together in the midline (plicated).

You are also doing the right thing by continuing with your diet and exercise regimen;  being close to your  long-term stable weight will ensure that you achieve the best results possible  and avoid the potential need for further surgery ( that may result from further weight loss if it occurs after the tummy tuck surgery).

Ideal candidates are within the normal BMI range

+1
It should be safe but your weight is a bigger issue.

It's always best to be at a stable weight before undergoing any surgery, and to maintain the results, you should remain at that stable weight afterwards as well. There are many good reasons why you should be within a healthy BMI range prior to surgery:

1. It can reduce the risk of complications related to surgery, such as bleeding.
2. It can make your recovery relatively easier than if you were overweight, since your body would be better able to repair itself. As a result, you'd be able to heal faster.
3. It can reduce your chances of experiencing post-operative complications, such as infection and life-threatening blood clots.
4. The aesthetic results will be much better.
5. There have been cases where patients undergo surgery while overweight then are so encouraged by the results that they lose weight after their surgery. This subsequent weight loss negatively affects their results, and they decide to undergo another surgery.

These things may not relate to you, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. For this reason, you may want to consider making positive lifestyle changes that facilitate weight loss (if you are in fact overweight). I know this is easier said than done, so you may want to seek the advice of a nutritionist or personal fitness trainer.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck is safe after c-sections

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and getting back into shape!  While a healthy lifestyle with exercise and healthy eating can definitely help you lose weight and tone up, it may not be enough to address changes that can occur after pregnancy. These changes include loose abdominal skin and muscles, especially in the lower abdomen, which is why your lower abdominal area "isn't going anywhere." So it sounds like you're a good candidate for a tummy tuck. The tummy tuck helps to treat these issues by tightening the skin and muscles of the abdomen as much as possible. I also do liposuction of the waist to help contour that area as well. And a tummy tuck will also remove the scarring from your 4 c-sections. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon