I Have a BWD of 14.5 Confirmed by 3 Different Surgeons. Is an Implant of 12.5 Too Small?

I'm worried that I will have a big gap in the middle of my chest. I am considering going with Mentor 350 Moderate Plus Profile, which has a diameter of 12.5. I'm worried about this being too small for my chest. I don't want to go with low profile, because I don't want to look "flat" from the side, but I also don't want a huge gap. I am hoping to be no bigger than a full C. Currently a medium A cup, very very small B, depending on the manufacturer. Mom of 2 boys: breastfed.

Breast base diameter directs choice of implant type

+1

Simply put, the implant diamter should be determined by the external base diameter of the breast (as measured) minus the thickness of the tissue. The reason they make different profiles is so that you can have different size choices while matching the diameter. So if moderate (Mentor) or low (Allergan) is the best match at the size you want, that's what you should do.

Breast implants choices

+1

Choosing the correct implant requires an exam in person.  I usually use either HP's or mod + implants for most patients.  This is based upon may different factors inlcuding the patients goals, and their anatomy.

A question of cleavage.

+1

Without the benefit of examining you, It is difficult to give specific advice.  In general, the gap between the breasts is more of a function of where your breasts naturally sit than an issue of the base diameter of an implant.  It's true that the implant size and how the implant pocket are created play a role.

I like to use an implant close to the measured base diameter, but an implant that is narrower is less likely to cause problems than one that is too wide.  Your surgeon should be able to give you a pretty good idea about what type of clevage you can expect.  Make sure you get all your questions before surgery.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size?

+1

Assuming you are working with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons,  they are in a much better position to advise you about potential breast implant sizes ( than online consultants who do not have the benefit of examining you).

When you have selected a plastic surgeon who you feel confident in communicate your size goals carefully.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

You may ask your plastic surgeon to demonstrate what he/she thinks the "gap"  between the breasts  will look like  by drawing on your chest in front of the mirror.