Where Can I Buy Medical Insurance for an out of Country Cosmetic Procedure in Case of Possible Complications?

Unfortunately because it is for a cosmetic procedure my medical coverage is voided. For sake of any medical complications is there a company that I can buy medical coverage from in the USA or a private insurervforbthe time i am away?I have looked every where and can't find anyone, yet you can get insurance coverage if you walk a tightrope across the Grand Canyon.

Where can I buy medical inurance for an out of country cosmetic procedure in case of possible complications?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Surgical procedures for aesthetic purposes, to improve appearance, are not covered by insurance. Typically, these as well as complications resulting from such procedures are the responsibility of the patient. Procedures that are meant to correct functional issues and those which cause health-related issues should be covered by your insurance as a medical necessity, with proper examination and documentation. Some insurance plans have exclusion criteria for certain procedures. Also, it is an obligation of the surgeon not to attempt to authorize purely cosmetic procedures through insurance.

Discuss your issues and complaints with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss these as well as to examine and assist you in deciding which procedure(s) will be the best for you. A discussion of the advantages and disadvantages will take place along with the risks and benefits. Insurance companies will vary on coverage and is always reasonable to discuss your issues with your surgeon and primary care. It would behoove you to get as much information as possible and even call your insurance yourself.  Such a question will have to be discussed between you and your carrier.  Certainly, pay in advance prior to your surgical procedure and options such as financing are available if you qualify. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Health insurance and cosmetic surgery

+1
Everyone's health insurance policy is different, however, in general, most health insurance plans do not cover any complications resulting from a cosmetic procedure. You have to read the fine print of your individual plan. It doesn't hurt to try and bill health insurance since they do cover these issues sometimes. However, there are very reasonable priced cosmetic insurance plans that can be purchased prior to your cosmetic procedure that cover complications resulting from the cosmetic procedure. Your plastic surgeon can give you information on these plans that are sold by a separate company. You can also ask your plastic surgeon if you are at increased risk of having a complication and thus worth the extra expense of obtaining the policy.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Ask your plastic surgeon about cosmetic complications insurance

+1

This would be a good question to ask your surgeon as I am sure this will vary from country to country. 

Insurance for overseas plastic surgery

+1

There is an insurance program that is intended to cover complications from overseas surgery, but I believe it is the surgeon who would make it available. It is a program affiliated with the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS.org). I would suggest that you confirm that your surgeon is a member of ISAPS and ask about coverage. Dealing with potential complications is only one of the issues related to traveling out of country for surgery.

Richard Baxter, MD

Plastic surgeon sometimes carry insurance to cover their cosmetic patients.

+1

Some plastic surgeons have purchased insurance to cover complications should they occur in their own patients. You can look for surgeon who carries his coverage.