When Can I Buy a Bra and Not Wear a Sport Bra Anymore?

i had my surgery about 15 days ago.

Bras after a Breast Augmentation- Best Bra, and Best Timing

+2

Dear Vanessa-

In general, it's usually when the stitches are out, your swelling has gone done, and your plastic surgeon gives you the OK.  Your plastic surgeon will have recommendations based on how you're healing before giving you the green light to wear a regular bra.

Best Wishes,

Roy

Bra Fitting After Augmentation

+2

I agree that there is no universal answer to your question and it is a question which should be addressed to your plastic surgeon.  Only he/she know of any unique situations with your procedure.  It certainly always takes a few weeks for the breasts to reach their final size, shape, etc.  I have my patients who have had inframammary incisions wait longer before wearing underwire bras than those who have had circumareolar incisions, for example.

John Whitt, MD

Refer this question to your Plastic Surgeon

+2

Vanessa- I think it's best to refer to your plastic surgeon or his office for this answer.  You will find that there are so many varying answers to this question depending on the physician.  Most of my patients only wear the support/sports bra for the first two weeks post Breast Augmentation and then I allow them to switch to whatever bra is comfortable for them.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

When to wear a regular bra

+2

Our general recommendation would be no bra for 8 weeks, camisole only during this time. At the 8 week point a regular bra can be worn again. May want to check with your physician for their specific instructions.

Alan N. Larsen, MD

+2

Dear Vanessa in Santa Ana,

I would check with your plastic surgeon for specific instructions. In general, I advise most patients to refrain from wearing pushup or underwire brassieres for at least one month following breast augmentation. I also advise waiting until the implants "settle down" before shopping for a new bra collection, as their may be small changes to your overall new breast shape and size.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Ask your surgeon

+1
I recommend you wear a bra for the first eight weeks of recovery to minimize the risk of displacement. However, you should really ask your surgeon, as they may have different guidelines

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Regular bra after breast surgery

+1

As you can see from all the different answers to your question, there is no one answer and you should go with whatever your surgeon recommends. Also, women find different bras fit them differently and, as I am sure you have discovered, some are more comfortable for you than others (that's why there are so many different ones available!). I tell my patients that they can wear whatever is comfortable but they should wear one 24/7 (except when taking a shower) for at least the first 2-3 weeks or whenever it becomes comfortable without one.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Buying a bra after breast surgery

+1

Hi Vanessa, I suggest to my patients to wait before purchasing a bra until they reach 2 months post-op breast surgery. By this time, you should have sensation underneath the infra-mammary fold and the implants should be settled into the pockets. I ask my patients to wear a soft sports bra or any bra with no underwire until they are at least 2 months post-op and are satisfied with their results.  The best advice will be given to you by your plastic surgeon because he/she will know what kind of work was performed and what is best for your recovery.