Buttock Implants: What Are the Pros and Cons of Using Round vs. Anatomical Shaped Implants?

Some doctors swear by ROUND ONLY buttock implants in part because if they move or spin they are less likely to be noticed or look strange. HOWEVER, other doctors NOTE that ONE SHAPE does NOT necessarliy fit all. In other words, the anatomical shaped implants may be useful for those needing more volume in the lower region. Give the possibility of movement, are anatomical implants more risky than round implants.

As technology has improved our options for butt augmentation (and breast augmentation) have continued to grow. Which is great for patients and helping them achieve their aesthetic goals. However sometimes there are so many options that it can be overwhelming.

Patients often come in and ask which is the best implant? And unfortunately there is no one “best” implant for everyone. The correct implant depends on each individual patient’s desired shape and size, their body from and the pre-operative shape of their buttock.

The round implants are the most common implant in my practice for several reasons. The implant is more forgiving if the patient ever has trauma to her butt. If the implant rotates or shifts just a little it will not change the appearance of the buttock. It also give patients a very nice round full shape that the majority of my patients are looking to achieve.

The shaped implants are great implants as well. I only use them if I really think they are going to make a difference for a patient as they do have the added risk of the implant rotating or shifting. There is this thought that a shaped implant (in both breast and butt) can lift more of the lower portion of the butt or breast. It might, but very little and typically is not worth the extra risk.

Talk to your plastic surgeon, show him or her pictures of what you are trying to achieve and they will be able to help guide you in what implant is best for you.

Buttock Implant

The choice of buttock implants depend on

1: the shape and measurement of the buttock

2: the shape of the pelvic bone

3: Where is the maximal projection desired.

Therefore an analysis of the the present anatomy dictates the shape of buttock implant used.

Other decisions you need to make is the position of the implant

1: subcutaneous

2: sub-facial

3; intramuscular

You need to understand the risks of the surgery

Infection, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, shifting of implants, capsular contracture, feeling of implant, pain

Recurrent seoma.