Butt Lift vs. Brazilian Butt Lift?

I recently lost 100lbs and even though I have hips, my butt kind of deflates and sinks in. I was interested in getting a Brazilian Butt Lift, but two plastic surgeons have said to do a Butt Lift (even though I don't have much sagging), and they can overlay the fat on my hips on top of fat in order to not get flat buttocks. Does this sound right or should I pursue the Brazilian Butt Lift?

Butt Lift vs Brazilian Butt Lift

+2
A Brazilian Butt Lift is a body contouring procedure that reshapes the buttocks (makes them somewhat larger) and reshapes the midsection (liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, and lower back).  Butt Lift on the other hand is a much more invasive surgery where the butt skin and fat are lifted (pulled up as if pulling up pants).  This procedure is more appropriate for patients that have sagging skin such as after a massive weight loss.  
If you really lost 100 lb it is most likely that you do have sagging skin that a brazilian butt lift alone cannot correct.  However, without pictures it is impossible to determine which procedure is really ideal for you.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

How to know if you need Butt Lift or Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

You need a Butt Lift if you have an excess of skin and a lack of fat which is causing your butt to sag.

You need a Brazilian Butt Lift if you have fat in other places of your body, but not in your Butt.

If you have lost a lot of weight, and the skin sags, it would take an enormous amount of fat injections to plump out your buttocks area. In such cases it might be better to do a butt lift, preferably a Lower body lift, and you will see a great improvement in your figure.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Butt Lift vs. Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

Thank you for your question. If you have visited two Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, and they have the same recommendation, I would listen to them. Their recommendations come from years of experience, and seeing bad outcomes.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Butt Lift vs. Brazilian Butt Lift vs Buttock Implants

+1

There are many option to have a more shapely butt. The key to making the right decision lies in the hands of a board certified plastic surgeon who will examine you and determine which procedure is best for you. You need to listen to their advice as they are the experts and examined you whereas our comments have limited application without an exam.

This is a good forum however to let you and others know their options. They include a Brazilian Butt Lift if there is adequate fat available for fat transfer, buttock implants and a butt lift. Fat transferred to the Buttocks is generally called a Brazilian Butt Lift. Some surgeons, including myself harvest fat in particular from the lower back to give it an S shaped contour that defines and sculpts the top of the buttocks giving it the illusion that it is bigger and definitely more shapely before the fat transfer is actually done. Similarly, sometimes fat is taken from the upper back of the thighs to also define the edge of the buttocks while taking care of what many women call the "banana rolls" as well as the "diamond" shape space that is attractive at the highest point of the inside of the thighs when viewed behind. Also the amount of fat that takes is highly technique dependent and experience dependent.

Implants are generally reserved for those that want more fullness but have inadequate fat available for transfer. It is more involved and has a longer recovery. Lastly Butt Lifts generally refer to using "flaps" of redundant soft tissue that are tucked inside the but while tightening up the skin envelope. This requires the longest time for recovery and results in the largest scars which visible.
In other words there are many subtleties that make all the difference between a good result and a great result.  My suggestion is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in these techniques. His exam will determine which course if right for you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Butt lift vs brazilian butt lift

+1

If you lost 100 lbs. and your buttocks has deflated, you may need to have the excess skin removed as in a traditional butt lift and could also consider having the Brazilian butt lift (fat injected into the buttocks) at the same time.  This procedure could help improve the sagging and replace the volume that was lost.   The fat could be harvested from the tissue that was removed in the traditional lift and, therefore, would not cause excess sagging elsewhere on your body.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Butt Lift / Lower Body Lift vs. Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

After 100 lb. weight loss, a “butt” lift or lower body lift definitely seems like it would be the better procedure. In this case the buttocks not only has lost significant volume but there is probably quite a bit of sagging not only of the buttocks skin but also of the skin of the lateral and posterior thighs. A “butt” lift will improve all of these areas. An auto augmentation of the buttocks is often performed as part of the lower body lift and involves rotating flaps of fat to improve the shape and fullness of the buttocks. The Brazilian butt lift refers to performing liposuction of the hips or flanks and of the lateral thighs, and then transferring that fat to the buttocks for augmentation. This requires reasonably good skin tone in those areas treated with liposuction, in order to result in an acceptable contour. In your case, this procedure could result in worsening of the sagging of the skin of the lateral and posterior thighs, while improving the volume and shape of the buttocks. In your case, the best approach would most likely be to first perform the lower body lift. After that, if there could still be some benefit gained by sculpting the hips and outer thighs with liposuction and by transferring more fat to the buttocks to further enhance volume and shape, then that could be done either together, or more likely as a staged procedure.

Max Polo, MD

Butt Lift or Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss. I can't offer an opinion without a proper examination, but It would be unusual for you to lose that much weight and still be a good candidate for a Brazilian butt lift. It may be possible for you to get the best of both procedures by doing a butt lift in combination with some fat grafting. Just remember:

• a Brazilian butt lift doesn't actually lift, it reshapes, improves contour, and adds volume
  • a butt lift actually lifts, reshapes, and improves contour, but does not add volume

There isn't a right answer for everyone, but your surgeon should be able to explain the alternatives and help you make an informed choice about what will work best for you.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Deflated butt = no place for fat grafts.

+1

Although overly simplistic, with your outstanding weight loss, sagging or deflated buttocks tissues provide little recipient area for proper fat transfer. Each fat graft globule must be surrounded by living, healthy tissue in order for this tissue to provide oxygen and nutrients to allow the grafts to heal and survive long term. Simply pumping the fat beneath the loose skin will not work!

Excessive skin laxity after weight loss usually requires some sort of skin removal, usually via body lift, lower body lift, belt lift. or butt lift. Different terms may mean similar or different things--make sure your surgeon outlines exactly what is planned and what it is intended to do. Skin tightening procedures work well and give good to great results.

Fat grafting procedures can work well in specific patients with the appropriate anatomy, BUT can be more costly, time consuming (more than one procedure), and may have irregular or lumpy results as compared to well-performed skin removal and tightening operations. Again, ask for detailed information during your consultation with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A Butt Lift is a Butt Lift

+1

After 100 lbs weight loss you most likely have very inelastic buttock skin as well as poor buttock volume.  The Brazilian Butt Lift is a term that denotes the use of both implants and fat transfers for buttock reshaping.  Don't get fixated on the terminology but focus on the result you want and the experience of your surgeon.  Sometimes after massive weight loss there may be redundant circumferential abdominal and flank skin requiring treatment.  That excessive soft tissue may be a good source of fat that can be used in the transfer to the buttock.  Aggressive liposuction of the torso including the abdomen, flanks, back, posterior and laterial thighs would most likely be the first step followed by aggressive transfer of fat to the buttock.  Notice the term aggressive.  In order to get the result you want your body and your butt will have to be sculpted.  Whether its a Brazilian Butt Lift or an old fashion American Butt Lift you should get a good result.  This is a fun and wonderful procedure for you and congradulations on your successful weight loss.  The greatest difficulty is keeping it off.  Good Luck.

Joseph Kurt Bivens, MD

Butt Lift or Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

Both procedures improve the appearance of your buttocks. After  100lb weight lost,most likely  you will required skin excision to get rid of the extra skin.To improve the shape  I commonly preform butt  augmentation with fat grafting at the same time. These two procedures in my opinion will give you the best aesthetic results. 

Jaime Perez, MD