Butt Implants. Respected Surgeon Says He Wont Do Them, He's Seen Too Many Problems. Your Valued Opinion Please ?

I prefer to use fat instead of implants for buttock augmentation

+1

Fat is my preferred method for augmentation of the buttock. I have had great success and am able to get predictable, reproducible, and long-lasting results...even in very think people. I have personally seen many problems with implants including infections, malposition, firmness, and nerve injury. This does not mean the buttock implants cannot (or should not) be done. In fact, there are many great surgeons who do this procedure well.  I have refined my own fat transfer technique so that I feel that my results are superior to buttock implants, but this is just my own technique and my own experience. I would never say that someone shouldn't get implants, even if I don't do them.

Not all surgeons can do Buttock Implants

+1

There is a definite learning curve and the surgeon needs to go through it. Some surgeons are not interested, while other seek to improve the procedure but I am here to tell you this procedure is here to stay. Just look at what can be achieved and you will agree that people are going to want this kind of outcome.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Buttock Implants...The Truth

+1

Although he is a "respected" surgeon he may not specialize in Buttock Implants and therefore not have much actual experience in doing them. 

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Brazilian butt lift is a better option...

+1

Butt implants are not recommended by a lot of surgeons because of the amount of possible complications.  Often revisional surgeries are needed due to the pressure on the implant while sitting.  We recommend using fat grafts which are natural and give you the illusion of a smaller waist and a rounder butt.