Butt Implants with Fat Grafting for a Dancer?

I have pretty much decided on buttock implants for a myriad of reasons, but I am aware of their drawbacks. Because I have very little fat on my buttocks and hips, I would like to have fat grafting at the same time to further round my shape and make the look/feel more natural. Is this feasible, or would I need to have the grafting done later? How long would I have to wait before returning to work as a dancer? What placement for the implant would be best, given all the buttock movement involved?

Fat Grafting at the same time as Buttock Implants

+2

Most patients that I see do not have ample fat for fat grafting to the buttock.  However, using what fat they do have to supplement the effect of implants can be very useful, especially into the hip area.  I frequently do both procedures at tha same time to save for only one recovery.

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection. Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Hope this helps…RAS

Butt Implants with Fat for a Dancer

+1

With careful planning it would be possible to combine both procedure. The implant are typically more limited in the area they can augment and the fat can be used to taper out and around the implant and fill other areas the implants cannot reach. Look for someone with experience and a commitment to buttock implants. There are many risks associated with the implants, particularly in unskilled hands. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Fat Grafting for Buttock Augmentation plus Butt implant

+1

it is possible to supplement a buttock implant with fat grafting with good results. I have good results with this procedure. I personally much prefer to do fat grafting but there are some patients that don't have much fat.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Butt implants

+1

Dear Rishel,

Congratulation on your smart decision. From my observation of patients who had the fat injection procdure to the butt done by other surgeons, 70% and more of the fat disappeared. In the last few months I performed buttock augmentaion with implants on 8 patients who had fat injection done previously and it all or almost all disappeard. Buttock implants are soft and the procedure create natural looking and feeling buttock and they do not disappear. In my opinion, the sub fascial placement of the implants is the best for natural look and less complication. This is more so for dancer. Time for return to work as a dancer - 1 month. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced ib buttock implants procedure. Check their before and after.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Butt Implants with Fat Grafting is this a good idea?

+1

It is probably not a good idea to inject fat into the buttock at the same time that the buttock implants are placed.  With any free fat transfer, 15% to 30% of the fat may resorb and could act as a potential medium for bacterial infection.  If an infection were to occur it could well result in the need to remove the implants.  I would suggest one procedure or the other.  Given that you are a dancer and require maximal natural movement, the free fat transfer may be the better option.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon