I'm 20 yrs old. Which would you recommend; Butt Implants or Brazilian Butt Lift? (photo)

I'm 20 years old, and not proportionate at all. I have D breasts and broad shoulders, but my lower body (legs, hips and butt) are extremely tiny. I can't even keep pants on without them sagging or bathing suit bottoms, I just want to make my butt bigger and fuller to match my upper body but am not sure how to go about it. I want it to feel and look natural, but still be noticeably larger. Im not sure of my measurements but wanted to know what procedure is best for what Im seeking?! Thank you!

Buttock Augmentation Options

+2

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection. Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you gain weight for the procedure, the fat that you lose first when you go back down to your baseline weight after surgery is in fact that fat that you originally gained and transferred into your buttocks...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Hope this helps… @DRRYANSTANTON

Both if needed.

+1
Most people...even the thin ones...have some fat that is able to be harvested from the hip and thigh region. In your case, I would need an examination to determine how much we could realistically get. If you did not have enough donor fat to obtain the result you desire, an implant would be your next best option. Implants are historically high in complication rates...and many surgeons simply will not offer to do them. What I prefer to do in cases where the person may not have enough donor fat to achieve the result they want, would be to use a small implant and combine that with fat grafting and liposuction contouring of the surrounding areas. The liposuction contouring, for many patients, is the key to getting a great overall shape of the gluteal region.

Paul W. Papillion, MD

Butt Implants or BBL?

+1

There are two ways to enlarge your buttocks:

1.) Brazilian Butt Lift (Fat Transfer)

2.) Butt Implants

Brazilian butt lift is the combination of liposuction and fat injection, and involves two steps. First, the patient's own fat is collected through liposuction. The most popular areas for liposuction before buttock augmentation are the lower back, waist, flanks (love handles), thighs and stomach. This not only provides the raw material for buttock enhancement, it also contours the areas around the butt for a more dramatic result. The liposuctioned fat is then purified in a special process so that the best fat is ready to be reintroduced to the body.

In the second step, the donor fat is added to the buttocks with hundreds of tiny injections at different depths to ensure an even, attractive augmentation. This method of fat injection lends a shapely contour to the buttocks that lasts a long time. Special attention is given to the upper buttocks so the entire rear looks youthfully and naturally lifted.

Buttock implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes to best fit each patient's body type and desired goal. They are made of soft silicone, which provides a firm, smooth and natural feel. They are placed away from important nerves as well as the bony area on which you sit. The upper and outer regions of the butt become rounder and firmer once the implants are in place. The procedure takes about two hours and is performed under general anesthesia. Incisions are made inconspicuously in the depression between the buttocks.

After buttock augmentation with fat transfer or silicone implants, patients should avoid sitting directly on the buttocks or lying on their backs for two to three weeks to maximize results. During this time, compression garments may be worn to reduce swelling. Patients may experience some pain or discomfort, bruising and swelling after the procedure. Most patients return to work two weeks after their buttock augmentation and are able to resume all normal activities within four weeks. Swelling typically dissipates by the sixth week.

When performed by an experienced surgeon using the proper techniques, buttock augmentation is a highly satisfying and permanent procedure that enhances the profile of the buttocks and surrounding areas for a younger, firmer, and curvier look.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Buttock fat grafting versus buttock implants

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  In general, if you have excess fat in areas that you do not want it then buttock fat grafting will be the ideal buttock augmentation option.  If there is not sufficient fat then you cannot undergo buttock fat grafting and will have to choose buttock implants.  If you would like to balance your body in terms of proportions you can also evaluate whether you feel the size of your breasts are too large.  Just as breast implants may require replacement or adjustment in the future so too will buttock implants.  That will be something for you to consider.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Butt Implants vs Brazilian Butt Lift - How to Choose

+1

Butt Lift Options for best results

Without an exam this is difficult to answer. However here is some useful information for you to consider before making a choice:
There are many options to have a shapelier butt. They include a Brazilian Butt Lift if there is adequate fat available for fat transfer, buttock implants and a butt lift. Fat transferred to the Buttocks is generally called a Brazilian Butt Lift. Some surgeons, including myself harvest fat in particular from the lower back to give it an S shaped contour that defines and sculpts the top of the buttocks giving it the illusion that it is bigger and definitely more shapely before the fat transfer is actually done. Similarly, sometimes fat is taken from the upper back of the thighs to also define the edge of the buttocks while taking care of what many women call the "banana rolls" as well as the "diamond" shape space that is attractive at the highest point of the inside of the thighs when viewed behind. Also the amount of fat that takes is highly technique dependent and experience dependent.
Implants are generally reserved for those that want more fullness but have inadequate fat available for transfer. It is more involved and has a longer recovery. Lastly Butt Lifts generally refer to using "flaps" of redundant soft tissue that are tucked inside the butt while tightening up the skin envelope. This requires the longest time for recovery and results in the largest scars which visible.
In other words there are many subtleties that make all the difference between a good result and a great result.  My suggestion is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in these techniques. His exam will determine which course if right for you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Brazilian buttlift or Implants

+1

If you have very little body fat, then you should opt for buttock implants.  If you have enough subcutaneous fat, then you should opt for Brazilian buttlift. 

Buttocks augmentation which procedure is right?

+1

There is no procedure that is perfect or that is going to work for evrybody. So we ned to understand what each does and its limitations.

To have a successfull fat transfer you need to have enough fat to "donate" to another part of the body. If you harvest  1000cc you end up with around 500cc in the buttocks you then have to consider the survival of the fat There is no accurate data on that but 60% survival is what is accepted. So you have to see how much volume you need, do the math and see if it will work for you. Otherwise you choice is an implant and saving the fat for refinements and contouring.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Butt augmentation

+1

Dear sheak,

Thank you for submitting your pictures. Very good question. Yes, ideally fat injection to the butt will best technique, however, the problem is that after a year the fat is completely or almost completely gone. The procedure is illogical physiologically, because, you can't expect a large amount of fat to survive without circulation. Case in point, I am doing tomorrow butt implants on a lady who had fat injection to the butt 6 months ago and she is very unhappy with the outcome. Silicone implants are soft, feel and look natural. You can choose the appropriate size and most importantly, the implants do not disappear. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with implants and can show you before and after pictures to your liking.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Buutock augmentation with fat or implant?

+1

The preferred and most natural method of buttock augmentation is using your own fat. It has many advantages oever implants, the most important being the ability to achieve a very natural result. What your buttocks are missing is not an implants but fat. But you need to examined to make certain that you have enough donor fat available. You should consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience with the BBL. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Buttock enhancement

+1

The best and most natural look and feel when doing Buttock enhancement is by fat grafting (Brazilian Butt Lift).

If you do not have any fat the an appropriate size and shaped Butt Implant put in the submuscular position can be great for your body image.