Butt implants or brazilian butt lift for round 2? (photo)

I had the BBL done a little over 2 months ago however majority of my fat did not survive. I was injected 1400 cc’s into each side. Since I do not have the projection I desire, I am considering a round 2. Since I am limited on the fat I have due to the lipo would it be best to have butt implants done or a BBL again? One concern I have is how natural it will look and if it is difficult adjusting to sitting. I am leaning towards butt implants because I do not want to chance the fat dying again.

Buttock implant after BBL?

+2

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection. Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and a subsequent disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help.

So, you want another Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1
When done correctly, a BBL should give you great and permanent results. It should be unusual for you to lose most of your fat, but unfortunately, I revise many BBLs from other surgeons and see it all the time. This loss of fat is most likely technique related. A second BBL is certainly an option as long as you have enough fat left to donate to yourself. Make sure to do your research and find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is an expert at BBLs. He/she should do at least 6 per week and be able to show you over 100 of his/her own before and after pictures. You don't want to have to do this again.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift

+1
You are still too early for a second surgery on the buttocks after Brazilian Butt Lift.
however if you are unhappy, a good evaluation of the amount of fat that can be harvested should be evaluated and your desired look should be taken in consideration and discuss the pros and cons of each procedure. The fat transfer if available, if not then buttock implant. Buttock implants do not interfere with sitting.
Samir Shureih MD.FACS
sshureih@msn.com

Brazilian butt lift revision or implants

+1
If you have enough reserves, you might be better off with fat transfer. If you do not, then  you might be a better candidate for buttock implants.

Butt implants or brazilian butt lift for round 2?

+1
Either is probably reasonable, but the complication profile is higher for the buttock implants.  About 25% of the BBLs I perform are revisions.