Will Butt Implants Become Less Riskier As Newer Technology Develops, or Will There Always Be Inherent Risks of Butt Implants?

In your opinion do you think butt implants will become a less risky procedure with fewer complications as technology advances, or do you think butt implant surgery will always be an inherently risky procedure?

Buttock Implants - Risky?

+2

Allow me to share with you what you may not hear from others.  Currently the only two safe and effective methods for Buttock Augmentation are Autologous Fat Transfer (transfer of your own fat to the buttocks, aka "Brazilian Butt Lift") and Buttock Implants (semi-solid soft silicone rubber implants).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I personally recommend either the round or the oval shaped implants dependent upon the natural anatomic shape of the patient's buttock cheeks.  The implant is typically inserted through a 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the top of the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this technique.  Additionally, in this type of surgeons hands the often quoted "high risks" of complications especially infection are actually much lower around 5%. Hope this helps...RAS

Will Butt Implants ever be a "Safe" surgery?

+2

But implants are inherently risky due to the incision placement as well as due to the fact that they are hard and tend to shift.  I have even seen them erode through the skin of the buttocks.  Although it is true that you do not sit on them if you have great posture and sit erect at a 90 degree angle.   However, many people do not have that good of posture and most people do want to recline back every now and then and this is when you put a large portion of your body weight on the cheeks of your buttocks and on the implants. I believe that this is a big contributing factor to what often leads to displacement and even erosion through the skin.  I do not believe this will ever be a risk free as other plastic surgery procedures, and I do not believe butt implants will ever compare to having your own fat placed in your buttocks. 
I thought that you had said in another post that you have excess fat that you want removed.  Why not use that fat to augment your buttocks?

Daniel P. Markmann, MD