How Much Fat is Needed for Butt Augmentation?

I have a small frame and not a lot of fat. I'm wondering if Butt augmentation is worth it, because I want a very noticeable, and big change in my butt. How much fat will I need?

How Much Fat is Needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift

The volume of fat needed would depend on your size and your desired goal as tempered by the amount of fat you have to "donate".

Use a a quart of juice or milk as a common visual yard stick. If that 1 qt carton was to be used to augment your buttocks, ask yourself just how much of that carton 1. would you want to be placed in each cheek? 2. Where in your body do you have such fat volumes for a surgeon to Liposuction and transfer?

A Brazilian Butt Lift is much easier in smaller to mid-sized women who are slightly obese because liposuction around the buttocks will greatly define them and they have enough to adequately graft the gluteal mounds. If you are thin and have not fat to graft, the operation is impossible. Similarly, if you do have fat but your ideal buttocks require a volume of fat you do not have - the operation is impossible as well.

Dr. P. Aldea

How much fat is enough for Butt Augmentation ?

It's a matter of evaluating your fat donor areas, remember we have a trained eye that will discover those areas and the possible amount of fat available.

You should know that  "Buttock Augmentation"  is a combination of Fat Grafting and Countouring the Area with Liposculpture (the lower part of the back, and the lateral part of the buttock).

If there is not enough fat, you may get a Butt Implant instead.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Buttock Augmentation

From your photo, you look pretty small and thin with not a whole lot of fat on your body. For a significant change, a large amount of fat is needed to harvest and inject into the buttocks. Not all of the fat that is placed will survive the transfer as well. You don't look like you have enough and if you are looking for a big change, I think you will be disappointed. I don't think that the procedure will be worth it for you. Hope this information is helpful.

Caroline Min, MD

Can A Slim Person Have a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Without an exam by a board certified plastic surgeon, it would be hard to give you the best opinion. Yes, very slim women may not have enough fat to make a sizable difference. No, you you cannot use someone else's fat. Re: the amount to transfer: A lot depends on the amount of fat that is suitable for transfer as not all fat that is removed can be transplanted - only the fat that is not traumatized or clumped. The second limiting factor is that too much fat cannot be transplanted at one time or the fat that is transferred may not fully take. Although not all fat survives initially, the part that does is more or less permanent A person’s own fat may be used to improve the appearance of his or her body by moving it from an area of excess (or where it is less desired, such as the thighs, hips or abdomen) to an area that has less volume desired or has lost tissue volume due to aging, trauma, surgery, certain diseases, birth defects, or other causes.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How much fat is needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift

You have asked the most common question that I get in my office when it comes to the Brazilian Butt Lift!  The answer to your question is that it depends how large you would like your buttocks to be.  I encourage my patients to bring in wish pictures so that we can discuss whether or not they have sufficient fat on their body to achieve the look that they desire.  Don't be discouraged however, if your doctor tells you that you do not have enough fat, buttocks implants are a great alternative.  Good luck!

It is hard to determine from this one photo how much fat you have that can be harvested for fat grafting.  How large of an enhancement that can be achieved will depend on how much fat is available.  An exam by a qualified plastic surgeon would give you the answer and options.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Is a but implant better for you?

Since more likely you are in your ideal weigh or slim fit.
And the atempt to gain weigh is not an option becouse your genetics will bring you don!

You may be a better candidate for a but implant!
specialy if you want a very noticible change!

If the surgeon is not able to obtain more then 300 cc of pure fat for each but cheek is not worth to attempt!

If you send photos we can do a more accurate evaluation!

Sincerely Dr. Manuel Gutierrez

How Much Fat for Brazilian Butt Lift

Brazilian butt lift (fat transfer to the buttock) is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape.

Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. The liposculpting will allow your surgeon to bring in your hips and waist giving you more of an hour glass figure. You already have some shape to your buttock and this will be able to be enhanced to give you a very attractive buttock. From the pictures you look like you have very good skin which will give you a great result from the liposcultping.

The amount of fat needed depends on the shape and needs of each individual patient, however in general at least 500cc per buttock need to be placed to see a significant difference. On average patients typically receive around 800cc per buttock side for a total of 1600cc of fat transfer. However just like a breast augmentation the amount of fat needed various from patient to patients. Also the sculpting done with the liposuction is a big part of the procedure to improve the overall shape.

However if a patient has a BMI of 22 they typically will have enough fat for the Brazilian butt lift. If they are smaller than this then they will need to consider doing an augmentation with implants. The process of the Brazilian Butt lift is not only to add volume to the buttock but to transform the entire shape of the patient from a square appearance to more of an hour glass shape. It is about giving a patient a figure that she will look great in close or a bikini (for the patients here in Miami).

The goal is not to just try and make the biggest butt possible. It is giving the patient a shape they will love for years to come!

When considering this procedure it is very important that you have your procedure performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Butt augmentation in thin patients

This is a challenging problem however the improvement from liposculpture and transfer of limited amounts of fat still gives worthwhile results.   Without examining you it is impossible to determine if you are a good candidate however the improvements can be very clearly pinpointed.  Often these are some of my happiest patients because we go into surgery with the price of a liposuction operation but we end up transferring smaller amounts of fat. It is more affordable and the patient achieves the result that we're both quite  enthusiastic about.  Works for me.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Fat needed for significant butt augmentation

The amount of fat needed to make a significant change in the buttock area is between 700-1000 CC's of fat per side. For someone to transfer this amount they would need to remove a minimum of 1400-2000 CC's of pure fat. Having said this, there are people who may not want a significant change or may not need it. In these instances, injecting lesser amounts is an option. It is important for the surgeon to individualize a treatment plan according to the needs of a patient.

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon