Did I Bust Sutures in my Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck a couple of days ago. I had nausea and threw up and it felt like fabric ripping apart inside.The area feels hot. Could I have bust a suture!

Torn sutures after tummy tuck?

+2

There is no way to know for sure whether your fascial sutures ("muscle repair") have torn without a physical exam, and even then it may be difficult to know this soon after surgery.  You should call your plastic surgeon, tell your surgeon what you have experienced and arrange for a follow-up visit.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and maintain your doctor patient relationship.

Busted tummy tuck

+2

I have not had the chance to evaluate your tummy, but the sutures placed in the muscle are very strong. It is not likely that you harmed the result, but it can certainly feel like have you because it hurts. Your surgeon should be able to tell you if everything is okay. I hope this sets your mind at ease. Good luck!

James M. Kurley, MD
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck stitches

+2

Throwing up and straining puts a lot of pressure on the abdominal muscles.  With a tummy tuck that pressure is distributed to the stitches that tighten the muscles.  Patients are in pain mostly due to the muscle plication and with throwing up that obviously hurts much more.  It is possible for the stitches to break or tear through the muscle.  Your surgeon would have to examine you and try to determine if that has happened.  It may be very difficult to tell during the early postoperative period .  Time will tell depending on how you look later.  Call and see your surgeon.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon