Burns After Applying Glycolic Acid Peel 70%?

I used to apply gycolic acid 35%regularly I was okay with that so I applied 70% this time. I had sever burning sensation, I immediately washed it off and applied ice. Red scars developed all over my face. Are these scars permanent or temporary ones. suggest me any OCT ointments for treating these scars.

Good post-peel skin care

+2

Since scars take 1-2 weeks to form, the red changes seen immediately after a peel are not necessarily scars. To reduce chances of scarring, good skin care is most important. You should wear sunblock daily (>SPF 30). Wash your skin with a gentle soap-less cleanser, and avoid scrubbing and washcloths. Most importantly, do not pick the scale.This causes trauma to the new healing skin and increases the chances of scarring. You can apply vaseline to the crusted areas to speed healing. Avoid additional peels, microdermabrasion, and similar treatments for 1-2 weeks. In the future, if you decide to continue with higher strength peels, please consider a medical clinic with trained personnel to minimize side effects and optimize results.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels are no joke: Don't fool around with a 70% glycolic peel at home.

+1

Shal, don't do any more home chemical peels of any kind. Jumping from a 35% peel to a 70% peel is an extreme jump and it seems you have suffered some damage from this treatment. I recommend immediately seeing a board-certified dermatologist for guidance on how to manage the post-peel red marks, to make sure they will fade as much as possible. In the future, even though strong peels are available on the internet, this does not mean they have been approved for home use by reliable safety organizations. I recommend asking your dermatologist for an ongoing, safe plan to keep your skin refreshed and clear, which may include some milder home peeling agents, but not 70%. Please protect yourself.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Skin Care For After Glycolic Peel

+1

While a glycolic 70% peel isn't the strongest, it is still strong enough that it should be done in a doctor's office under the supervision of a dermatologist or experienced board-certified physician. That being said, the redness you are describing is likely temporary discoloration from the peel, which is often expected and does not necessarily lead to scarring. To ensure proper healing, make sure to stick to the following for the first 1-2 weeks:

1. Stay out of the sun.

2. Gentle cleansing. Do not pick at peeling or crusting skin.

3. Bland moisturizers with ointments are ideal (ie. Aquaphor).

4. Avoid RetinA, glycolic or other harsh topical skincare products while healing. 

5. Apply a cortisone lotion for redness and itchiness. 

Good luck!

Channing R. Barnett, MD