Burning and Sensitivity After Tummy Tuck - Nerve Damage?

What test can I have to determine what nerves have been damaged it has been 5 years and the burning and pain is only getting worse....My doctor will not address this issue with me. I am seeking help now and want to know what nerve need to be removed. It is to the point I need to rest as it is so painful to do any activity. Please help me........

Burning and sensitivity after tummy tuck

+2

Regarding: " Burning and sensitivity after tummy tuck - Nerve damage?
What test can I have to determine what nerves have been damaged it has been 5 years and the burning and pain is only getting worse....My doctor will not address this issue with me. I am seeking help now and want to know what nerve need to be removed. It is to the point I need to rest as it is so painful to do any activity
."

I regret your situation. First you need to verify that you have nerve pain and not another process such as a hernia masking as nerve pain.

Second, permanent nerve pain and burning is a possible but very uncommon potential complication of Tummy tuck surgery. The vast majority of the nerves divided during the surgery involve sensation to the front and lower tummy, similar to C-Section surgery. Occasionally, groin sensory nerves may be caught in a suture (entrapment) or produce a painful mass at their endings (neuroma).  These are best diagnosed by specific localized pain which can be stopped with injection of a local anesthetic in that area.  If that does not take away the pain you may have atypical pain which cannot be repaired with further surgery. It may get better with specific medicine which normalizes nerve transmission. This process is best handled by Pain specialists.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Chronic long term pain and burning following a tummy tuck

+1

This is very unusual and I do not have great experience with this either. I have had one patient who had simialr complaints following a 30 pound weight gain with stress on the muscle repair. This was relieved with release but her full belly returned. A TAP block by a pain managment doctor could provide you with both temporary relief with possible diagnositic benefits as to the source.