Burning Pain 7 Months BA Post Op with a Large Indention Close to Sternum, Should I be Concerned? (photo)

I have had problems with my R breast for 7 months. Expressed this to my surgeon and was told that is the best I will ever look. The pain is intense. When I lay down the implant falls under my armpit on my rib cage. There is a large indention where the pain is that has occurred over the last couple of months. I cannot go back to my surgeon, but know something is wrong. The pain burns when I breath or even use my arm. It is sensitive to the touch while burning as well. Should I see my family Dr?

Problematic Breast Implants?

+4

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I'm sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory after breast surgery.

The implants' displacement into the axillas that you describe can be corrected using internal sutures (capsulorraphy).  This procedure will help keep the implants closer to the midline cleavage,  especially when you lie down.

It is possible that the discomfort you are feeling when you use your arm is related to this breast implants' displacement into the axillary area. The implant may also be too close to the surface in the area of the “indentation”. If so, it may be causing pressure symptoms to the underlying skin surface etc. Acellular dermal matrix reconstruction may be helpful if this is the case.  This material may serve as a barrier between the implant and the under surface of your skin,  hopefully decreasing irritation that may be caused by the underlying implant.

In person consultation will be very helpful;  physical examination will provide much information that may allow for development of a treatment plan.

Persistent burning pain following a breast augmentation.

+2

Sorry to hear about your breast augmentation. It's unusual to hear such a story. Multiple questions arise from the timeline and your results. First off, the indentation is either an incomplete pocket dissection for placement of the implant which is likely given your profile photo at 24 hours. That implant is quite high on the chest wall. Also, I'm wondering why you are having a crescent lift performed while you are 1 day postop from the breast augmentation. Having pain at the indention point is unusual. This could be from numerous factors including capsular contracture or a neuroma. Burning pain is often associated with nerve injury, particularly if it located in one specific area. As for this result being "the best you will ever look", I would recommend you find a few other opinions from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. You may find they have a more optomistic outlook for your situation.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Misshapen breast after breast implant and capsular contracture

+2

Without an examination it is hard to say but this could be due to some combination of the implant not lying flat in the inner lower quadrant, capsular contracture and an inaequate pocket to fit the implant. You will clearly need revision surgery to open the pocket in the inner lower quadrant and close it along the outer aspect so the implant does not fall into the armpit area. It is too bad because the left breast looks pretty good. The best person to do the revision is your current surgeon. If you do decide to go to another surgeon be sure to bring copies of your operative report and before/after photos to the consultation.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Problem after augmentation

+2

Sorry to hear you are having problems. In the front view photo and in the early oblique view photo, the right sided implant appears high relative to the nipple. Problems with implant position often require more surgery.  There may also be an element of capsular contracture this many months after surgery. If you do not want to return to your plastic surgeon you should have at least 2 or 3 consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss the options after they have had a chance to examine you and review the details of your prior surgery.

Thank you for your question and for the photos.  Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain in right breast 7 months post breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for the photos and description. Unfortunately, the answer to your problem can only be obtained by your full history and a thorough examination. You should obtain opinions from one or more reputable board certified plastic surgeons in order to solve this problem.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast issues

+1

Without an exam it is tough to say exactly what is causing your problem and what you would need to correct it.  If you are unhappy with your treatment then I suggest you seek a second opinion.

Implant Problems

+1

Your implant displaces too far laterally when you lie down.  This can be corrected but will require additional surgery.  I would recommend that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in revisional breast surgery. 

Good Luck.

Donald Griffin, MD