Burning Sensation with my New Breast Implants with a Lift?

I just had a breast lift with a implant about 7 weeks ago. I have been ok for the most part, but I do get a burning sensation on top of the breast where the implant is every now and then. Its only one breast.....should i have something to worry about?

Burning Sensation after Breast Augmentation often due to minor nerve irritation.

+1

Placing a breast implant stretches the overlying tissue within which run the nerves supplying sensation to the breast skin.  Your brain interprets this "stretched nerve feeling" as being different than normal, often a feeling that is irritating or burning.  This is very frequent after breast augmentation, particularly with larger implants, and often over the lateral (outer) aspect of the breast.  It will settle over several months. I have my patients desensitize the affected area by lightly touching and stimulating the skin.  This seems to speed up the recovery of normal feeling sensation in the area.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensation of breasts

+1

At seven or so weeks, the nerves that have been numb from bruising and stretching "re-awaken" and give off strange sensations like you describe. It usually gets better.

Burning Sensation after Breast Surgery?

+1

What you are experiencing is not uncommon after breast surgery. Burning or shooting discomfort sensations are very common for the first few months after surgery. Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise/reassure you after direct examination.

Temporary sensory "issues" common after breast implant procedures

+1

what you are experiencing is often part of the normal healing process after this type of surgery. it will gradually become less and less frequent over several months and almost always ends completely within a year. if its getting worse instead of slowly better, you should bring it to the attention of your surgeon.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon