Burning in Breast 5 Days PO?

I am 5 days PO and was doing great until tonight. I have a burning along the inner part of my left breast. They are still considerably swollen but this particular area of this breast feel hot to the touch and there is a burning sensation within. Today was my first day back to work so I am not sure if this is a result of overdoing it or something worse like an infection. Is this pain typically normal so soon after surgery?

Burning 5 days post-op

+1

This may be as simple as nerves stretching from "over-doing it" but could indicate the start of an infection.  I would advise you to see your surgeon asap so this can be distinguished.  It should be an easy diagnosis with examination. 

painful sensation after surgery

+1

The  sensation that you describe can indicate one of two things depending on if the burning sensation is more tingly in nature versus more  like a sunburn sensation. In instances where there is a "tingly" burning sensation, it is likely that the sensation is secondary to either nerve compression or stretch from the implants and should resolve spontaneously over the next week to two weeks. However if the burning sensation is more akin to a sunburn, this may indicate an infection in this area. If there is redness  accompanying the burning sensation this would be even more indication for possible infection. I recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon immediately.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Burning in Breast 5 Days PO?

+1

Although a wide range of symptoms is common after breast surgery, including burning pain after breast implants, a sudden increase in pain associated with a "hot spot" is enough of a concern so that you should contact your PS.  It will hopefully turn out to be a minor bump on the road but that is not a decision you should make on your own.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Warmth and burning after breast augmentation

+1

I would advise you to call your plastic surgeon.  An area hot to the touch can be concerning for infection and being 5 days out is a typical time for an infection to develop.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Burning in Breast 5 Days Post-Op

+1

It is not uncommon to have differing sensation like burning of the breast skin between the two breasts in the first several weeks after breast augmentation, but the fact that you have a feeling of hot to touch could be concerning for an infection which is always better to be treated sooner rather than later, so I recommend calling your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to be seen so you can be assured it is normal healing rather than an infection.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

This is most likely due to nerves being stretched, but if you are concerned you should call your surgeon.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Burning in breast?

+1

Burning in the breast can mean one of several things.  I think that an exam in person is essential and you should contact your surgeon to be properly evaluated.

Burning in Breast 5 Days Post op

+1

You should contact your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible regarding this issue.  You could have an infection.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Pain at Postop Day 5 Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Pain at postoperative day 5 is normal, but warmth or redness may not be.  It is very hard to advise on something like this over the internet, and I would advise an exam by your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Burning in Breast 5 Days PO?

+1

If the area is hot to the touch, this may be a sign of infection, so a call to your surgeon is my only suggestion. Based on some give and take the surgeon may ask to be come to the office for evaluation.

Hopefully this is nothing of note, but I don't want to offer false reassurance.

All the best.