I Got Burned by VPL Laser; How To Minimize Scarring and Discoloration? (photo)

I got burned by a VPL Laser hair removal system and I would like to know how to treat it to minimize the scarring and discoloration. Should I go see a plastic surgeon/ dermatologist to treat my burn? Also, does this mean I am not a candidate for laser hair removal? What would be some other options to permanently remove the hair from dark hair from my chin?

Treatment for laser hair removal burns

+1

My recommendations for treatment of laser burns in the skin are as follows:
1. Keep the areas clean by washing with a mild soap twice daily.
2. If there is blistering, relieve the pressure and hasten healing time by gently popping all blisters using a sterile needle or pin at the side of the blister. This should be a painless procedure. Do not remove the roof of the blister but allow it to settle down so it is flush with the skin. The blister roof will then form a protective cover.
3. Apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment (available without a prescription) to all involved areas to keep them "greasy". The greasier the area is, the faster it will heal. The drier and scabbier the area gets, the slower it will heal.
4. Permanent scarring is unlikely but you have to guard against post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by constant protection from the sun for these areas such as using protective clothing as well as broad spectrum sunscreens.
5. Make certain you are under a doctor's care and watch for signs of infection so that oral antibiotics can be started as soon as possible if necessary.

Laser hair removal is still your best option. When carefully done, laser burns are uncommon so you should make certain whoever is treating you has a great deal of experience.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon