Is It Wise to Donate Blood Pre Op BA or During the Post Op Period?

I donate blood on a regular basis, every 2 months. I didn't realize it til now, but I donated blood 3 weeks prior to my BA surgery & then I'm scheduled to donate again on post op day 18. Will this have any effect on my recovery?

Breast Augmentation and Blood Donation

+1

Although almost no blood is lost during breast augmentation, a hematoma could occur in the postoperative period.  It is best to have a reserve for this occurrence.  If your blood counts are normal prior to surgery, there is no reason not to perform the surgery.  Kenneth Hughes Hughes Breast Augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Blood donation before and after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your inquiry and for the nobility you express by donating blood on regular basis.

Blood donors donating on regular basis like yourself tend to have a pretty stable blood count and blood lab results. I tend to guess that your blood composition would probably normalize fairly quickly.

Therefore, I don't believe that you may encounter an issue. Besides, you will be having your lab tests done before your surgery and if there is any indication that your blood composition at that time is not safe for the surgery then you will need to postpone until it becomes safe!

Finally, the chances that a breast augmentation patient bleeds extensively during  surgery is pretty rare; but if it happens that you do for some reason, then you will need to wait a little more than 18 days to be able to donate blood again.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Blood donor

+1

It is very admirable of you to do donate blood on such a regular basis. There is usually a very insignificant amount of blood loss during the augmentation. 

Blood Loss and Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear BOOOOOOOOOOObies,

It is very noble that you regularly donate blood.  Three weeks before and 18 days after breast augmentation should not pose any problem for you.  I'm sure your surgeon is having your blood count checked prior to surgery.  If it is low, then you may have to postpone surgery until it normalizes.  If you bleed excessively during surgery, which happens very rarely, then you may have to postpone your 18 day post op donation.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://francisnyplasticsurgery.com/breast_aug.asp

Blood Donation around time of Breast Augmentation

+1

Your previous donation should not have any negative effect on your breast augmentation as blood loss is usually negligible.  If you are still feeling tired prior to your next donation, I would advise that you postpone it for a month.

Breast augmentation is effectively a bloodless operation.

+1

Patients with modest anemia need fear nothing from a breast augmentation.  Blood loss during the procedure is minimal.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Blood Donation around the Time of Breast Augmentation?

+1

Given that the blood loss associated with breast augmentation is minimal you should be just fine keeping to your blood donation schedule.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Is It Wise to Donate Blood Pre Op

+1

3 weeks before should not be a problem. Nor should 18 days after provided you had little blood loss during surgery, and you are feeling back to normal. Best wishes with your upcoming procedure..