Bunny Lines: 1 Shot Botox on Each Side of Nose or 3?

I went to another derm and she did my bunny lines differently. Both used 10 units of botox. But whereas my previous derm did 3 shots on each side of the nose and one in the horizontal fine lines between eyebrows, the new derm only did one shot on each side of the nose (also one between eyebrows). I have to say: the first treatment (3 shots) worked better, I could hardly move my nose anymore. Whereas now I can still move it, and I see lines there when I laugh. Isn't this weird?

It depends on your preference

You should talk to your recent injector to let them know that you'd prefer a more aggressive treatment. 

Bunny lines and botox, conservative or risky

Every doctor can approach both the standard Botox treatments as well as the off-label indications, differently. Treatment of the "bunny" lines involves relaxing the nasalis muscle but if there are too many insertion sites or too widespread, the elevator muscles of the corner of the mouth, such as the levator labii superioris muscle, could be affected which would make the mouth look crooked, or like a stroke occurred. Therefore, some physicians are more conservative and do not inject multiple areas, rather leaving some bunny lines present.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Bunny Lines

Different doctors have individual techniques to treat the same area with Botox. The idea is to weaken or paralyze the muscles which bunch the skin to make the bunny line wrinkles. Some patients prefer some movement. Others prefer no movement. The dose and location of the Botox will control which way it works.Discuss your goals with your doctor so that you can get the results that you want.

Technique for Botox for bunny lines

There is no simple one way to do things with Botox, fillers, or any other cosmetic procedures. I typically inject about 3 units on each side of the nose and on top of the nose, but others do it differently. Best to see your dermatologist again to get a touch-up.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Use Botox to Reduce Bunny Lines

Every physician has his or her ways of injecting Botox and what you described are two different injection techniques. The overall goal is to relax the targeted muscles. I would recommend you go to the physician that you are most satisfied with the result.

Stewart Wang, MD FACS

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Botox for bunny lines

Each physician has his/her own technique for treating the bunny lines.  You should return to your dermatologist and discuss your concerns.  More Botox can be injected if needed.  The alternative is to return to your previous dermatologist.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Bunny Lines & Botox

Not everyone does Botox for Bunny Lines- I personally love doing it- and think it is a great thing to do especially to prevent lines from etching into the nose permanently in the future.

I would go back to the one that did it the way you like it!  

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for bunny lines

Everyone has different techniques when it comes to injecting botox.  There is no right or wrong way as every patient is also different.  Does your doctor offer a two week touch up appointment of your botox?  If yes, I would go to them to discuss that you would like more.  Otherwise, stick with the provider whose results yo uare happier with.

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox and bunny lines

Dr. Swengel answers this question as I would have. If you liked the treatment with the first provider and it provided the effect you were expecting, I would continue seeing them.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for bunny lines

It's not weird, as each injector has different technique. Personally I'm not a fan of making people unable to move muscles entirely or have a plastic-looking facial structure. I try to limit the movement so the muscles don't move or tense the same way to create the lines, but I prefer that people can still move specific muscles. Frankly, if you preferred the first injector's technique, then you should go back to that injector if you can. If you've moved or something, then consider talking about your wishes and your prior injector's injection style with your new injector.