Bumpy Scar Around Areola After Breast Lift

I have a very bad bumping scar around my areola due to a breast lift i have over a year and a half ago. I spoke with the doctor who did the surgrey he kept telling it would get better but it never did. After a year later he tells me i got the bumps do to tightening around the areola, whatever that means. I really need to know what happened and what do i do to fix it.

Areola Scar Revision?

+1

The  best thing to do in your situation is to be evaluated in person by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can determine the cause of the “bumpy scar” and the best ways to revise the area. Unfortunately, without direct examination any advice you receive is not precise enough.

Lumps around areola

+1

Lumps around the areoladue to unfavorable scarrring more than likely can be revised, but without an exam I can not be sure.

Lumps around areola after breast lift should be easily correctable

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you and knowing more about the details of your surgery, it would be difficult to say exactly what is going on or how I would recommend correcting the problem, but based on the information provided, it sounds like a minor revision of the skin and scar around the areola should effectively improve the problem for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Bumpy scar around areola after breast lift

+1

Sounds like he used permanent deep sutures that never dissolved. Seek another opinion to answer these questions. You may need a scar revisional surgery.

From MIAMI DR. B

Purse String Suturing around Areola may result in Gathering / Bumps

+1

The degree of breast sagging SHOULD determine the best operation needed to correct it.  Not All Breast Lift operations are the same in their abilities to correct all DEGREES of breast sagging. The more extensive the sagging, the more excess loose skin exists in the breast which needs to be addressed.

However, not all women agree to having a lollipop shaped scar and some may be led to believe that a breast lift with only a scar around the areola (Periareolar Mastopexy) is as good. The result of being limited to using ONLY the margin of the areola as an extra skin removal edge is having to gather all that excess skin around the areola, resulting in predictable bumps than in having removed in with a single vertical lollipop scar.

Depending on your examination and desires you MAY benefit from a revision surgery with conversion to a partial or full lollipop scar.

Breast lift scars

+1

If a lot of gathering was done around the areola, we essentially have a gathering effect caused by a large circle being closed wto a small circle.  This is most common with periareolar, doughnut, or Benelli type procedures.

This problem can often be corrected by conversion of one of the lift types above to a Wise pattern or anchor procedure.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Different breast lifts for different women.

+1

Hi.

1)  It sounds like you had a "doughnut" breast lift, with scars around the nipples.  This type of breast lift in New York City we use only for minimal sagging, and usually together with breast implants.  If you try to correct more sagging with just these scars, you get pleats, or as you say, bumps.  This happens because you are bringing together a big circle and a small circle.

2)  You probably need a revision vertical breast lift with lollipop scars, and the bumps will be gone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift scars can be bumpy for several reasons

+1

It would take more detailed information to tell you why you have bumps around your breast lift scars.  The skin around the areola often needs to be tightened and gathered to go around the smaller areola.  It the lift was just a donut lift then there can be too much skin and the pure string suture will keep the bumps there even after a year.  The purse string suture can be removed to help the bumps shrink but the areola may get wider.  If you did not have a purse string suture then it is hard to know why the bumps have not settled down over this much time.

Since it has been over a year then it is reasonable to do a scar revision to help the situation.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon