Bumpy Discolored Areolas After Breast Reduction, What To Do? (photo)

I had a breast reduction just about a month ago now and I'm concerned about my areolas. They are bumpy where the stitches were and on one after the scab came off the skin is pinkish so not the color of the areola so I'd like to know if the skin will grow back the same color as the areola or will it stay discolored like that? Also will my right areola get as big and round as my left one over time? I see they are different shapes right now. I appreciate your opinions and thank you!

Appearance of Areola after breast Reduction?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

Since you are only one month out of your breast reduction procedure you will find that the incisions around the areola ( and everywhere else on the breasts)  will smoothen out with time. The scars will improve over the course of the first year after surgery. I would also suggest patience with the pigment changes you are experiencing ( although some of these changes may be permanent).

Generally, the breasts/areola/incision lines  will continue to improve over time.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and enjoy the results of your surgery.

One month post-op breast reduction

+1

You are still very early in the stages of healing.  Heal for at least six months to a year before considering any type of revision.  Much of what you are experiencing is the sutures dissolving at the level of the skin.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast reduction at one month

+1

It is very early to fully evaluate your healing.  At one month scars often look their "angriest" it takes many months for the scars to settle down and for the redness to go away.  Follow closely with your surgeon and see how they progress.