Bumps, Lumps and Roping After Smart Lipo: Is This Normal?

I had Smart Lipo on my upper arms 6 weeks ago, and I'm horrified by the lumps and bumps on the underside of my arms. I look disfigured and I'm scared it will not improve. I've been massaging the areas daily, sometimes to the point of bruising my arms since it is such a tender area. I don't really see a consistent improvement. Would Endermology or Velasmooth treatments help? How about Tri Active treatments? When should I expect improvement, or should I accept the fact that there won't be any?

Upper arms and inner thighs are DANGER ZONES for liposuction

+4

The thin skin in the upper arms and inner thighs make these areas very risky for liposuction compared to other areas of the body where the skin is thicker and more elastic. These two areas should be approached with a very conservative procedure consequently (or not done at all if the skin is too loose). Massage and time are your best allies now that the surgery has already been done. The other treatments probably won't make it any better than massage, time and mother nature. You won't know what your final result will be like until the 4-6 month mark. Good luck with it.

Arms-Smartlipo-effective, but time, compression and use of foam assists smooth result

+2

I have found Smartlipo of the arms to be very effective and in many instances a "wow".  Of course, the patients who may benefit from this have to be carefully selected and informed of the procedure, the phases of recovery, and the realistic expectations for a good outcome.  The patient with good skin tone and localized fat of the inner arm and over the deltoid/triceps area are the best candidates  I have been amazed at the results on older patients in their 60's, who have good skin retraction and shrinkage if the laser is properly and safely used for skin tightening  of the inner arm skin.  I have even used it on weight loss patients who, in the past, I would have recommended an arm lift.  I have always disliked, what I term, a "zipper scar" of the inner arm that is permanent when an arm lift is performed.  I fatty, flabby, flapping arm is replaced with a smaller arm that is not contoured as naturally, as I can achieve with Smartlipo, and the real downer is the permanent zipper scar that still requires clothing to hide!  I have found that the use of Topifoam/Epifoam is essential in contouring the arm skin during the early recovery phases of this procedure.  To control the skin re-draping and edema/bruising.  The less bruising, the less likelihood of lumps from small collections of blood.  The pressure from the foam helps the skin to adhere to the underlying muscle.  At approximately 3 to 4 weeks post-op, I advise the patients to start muscle building of the arms, so the skin will have more "fill", but muscle "fill" and definition, rather than fat. 

What you have at 6 weeks sounds normal and it is advisable to wait for 6 months to 9 months to 1  year to see the final result.  Compression and massage are essential  Ultrasound may also be used to break up the scar tissue and help improve circulation.  I also like the Clarisonic Pro with the Body Brush to promote circulation in the shower and you will love this device, as it will massage the soft tissues as well as exfoliate the skin. 

Christine A. Petti, MD

Six weeks is too early to judge Smartlipo results

+2

Arms can be a problem area, but I have had very good results with Smartlipo in this area.  Some swelling after 6 weeks is normal.  It will look like "lumps and bumps".  Usually your surgeon can tell if the amount you have is within normal limits.  It is too early to judge the final result at 6 weeks.  How much swelling you have depends on how much was done and how you heal.  Soft tissue massage can be useful to help dissipate the lumps.  I can't tell without an exam, or at least a photo, to what degree you have lumps and if they are likely to go away.  One thing for certain, they should continue to improve as the tissue softens and heals fully.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction swelling - Los Angeles

+1

Active massage will help the areas noted as the lymphatic system improves with time.  I would continue massage and continue to have your surgeon monitor the results. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

This is one very real challenge with underarm/arm surgery unfortunately

+1

While many people can turn out great when they do liposuction on the arm area, it doesn't always turn out that well. It is this reason that makes my rate of arm liposuction very low. In order to be a good candidate, you need to have excellent elasticity and the surgeon has to be very careful while doing the procedure or you will have problems afterwards.

You may benefit from Endermologie or VelaShape treatments, but I'd try them quickly or you will lose some beneficial recovery time. Hopefully, your surgeon will offer these for you at a discount given the challenges you have had.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Complications and risks of Smart Lipo!!!

+1

All types of liposuction can potentially have risks and complications. Laser liposuction might carry higher risk and rate for complications by causing burns, areas of dents, and Hyperpigmentation. massage and time will hopefully help to improve the outcome, but at times it might be necessary to have fat grafting and revision liposuction.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS