I Have Bumps Under my Eyes That Have Been Diagnosed As "Cholesterol" Deposits. Treatment?

They can't be covered w/makeup, and they are really making me self-conscious. I have strangers asking me "what's those things under your eyes?" Or "friends" telling me how pretty I'd be "especially if you got rid of those bumps." I look in the mirror and they are just so noticeable and unsightly. I'm 34, have no weight or cholesterol problems and don't understand why I have this! I need advice on what causes this and what kind of treatment might be available!! HELP!

Xanthelasma of the eyelids

+2

yellowish dermal deposits in the eyelid skin can vary from a few to many, small to medium to large. They are more often causd by not necessarily high cholesterol, but high triglycerides, or fatty acids in the blood. This can be associated with Type II diabetes and the dysregulation of the blood triglyceride level. Surgical excision works very well but if the lesions are very numerous and almost touching each other, then a wide excision might be needed but there is more risk and the result might not be aesthetically plasing.

Laser for xanthelasma

+1
Firstly, agree completely with Dr Gidon that you need an accurate diagnosis, as different "bumps" in this area require different treatments.  In the case of Xanthelasma, I find the Erbium:YAG laser a great tool, which enables me to break down and remove much of the lesion in a very precise manner.  We do this in-house at the practice, under local anaesthetic.  Recovery time ranges from 1 to 10 days depending on the the location and severity of the lesions. 

Growths under the eyes

+1

You should consult a dermatologist for the correct diagnosis.  Often milia, clogged pores, syringomas (benign glandular growths) or xanthelasma (cholesterol deposits) are misdiagnosed by others.  Once your dermatologist makes the diagnosis, appropriate treatment can be discussed. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Erbium laser can effectively remove cholesterol deposits on the eyelids

+1

I recently wrote a column in Skin and Agin along with Dr. Alex Berlin (called "Surgical Insights" regarding the treatment of eyelid cholesterol deposits. In our experience, erbium 2940 laser using a small (2mm) spot size can be very effective to remove these deposits and minimize discoloration or scarring. Traditional surgical removal with a scalpel and then focal curettage can sometimes lead to more discoloration to the area. It is best to see your primary physician as well, as some of these patients with cholesterol deposits do have elevated cholesterol that needs to be treated with diet modification and meds (but others have normal cholesterol levels).

Joel L. Cohen, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon