I Have Bumps Under my Eyes That Have Been Diagnosed As "Cholesterol" Deposits. Treatment?

They can't be covered w/makeup, and they are really making me self-conscious. I have strangers asking me "what's those things under your eyes?" Or "friends" telling me how pretty I'd be "especially if you got rid of those bumps." I look in the mirror and they are just so noticeable and unsightly. I'm 34, have no weight or cholesterol problems and don't understand why I have this! I need advice on what causes this and what kind of treatment might be available!! HELP!

Xanthelasma of the eyelids

+2

yellowish dermal deposits in the eyelid skin can vary from a few to many, small to medium to large. They are more often causd by not necessarily high cholesterol, but high triglycerides, or fatty acids in the blood. This can be associated with Type II diabetes and the dysregulation of the blood triglyceride level. Surgical excision works very well but if the lesions are very numerous and almost touching each other, then a wide excision might be needed but there is more risk and the result might not be aesthetically plasing.

Growths under the eyes

+1

You should consult a dermatologist for the correct diagnosis.  Often milia, clogged pores, syringomas (benign glandular growths) or xanthelasma (cholesterol deposits) are misdiagnosed by others.  Once your dermatologist makes the diagnosis, appropriate treatment can be discussed. 

Toronto Dermatologist

Erbium laser can effectively remove cholesterol deposits on the eyelids

+1

I recently wrote a column in Skin and Agin along with Dr. Alex Berlin (called "Surgical Insights" regarding the treatment of eyelid cholesterol deposits. In our experience, erbium 2940 laser using a small (2mm) spot size can be very effective to remove these deposits and minimize discoloration or scarring. Traditional surgical removal with a scalpel and then focal curettage can sometimes lead to more discoloration to the area. It is best to see your primary physician as well, as some of these patients with cholesterol deposits do have elevated cholesterol that needs to be treated with diet modification and meds (but others have normal cholesterol levels).

Denver Dermatologic Surgeon