Bumps Where Doctor Broke my Nose Externally After Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty almost two weeks ago. I'm aware swelling is normal. My doctor broke my nose bilaterally using an external approach. At the point where he broke it on each side I feel a pointy bump, which feels like bone. Will that heal or go down if it is bone? Or is it a small piece of bone and will remain there?

+1

Dear Azteh,

Thank you for your question.  If the place where your surgeon cut or 'broke' your bone is higher than the plane of the maxilla (the mid face bone), then a ridge or 'bump' will remain.  This is permanent, but is probably not noticable to others, or yourself.  Most likely it is only something you can feel.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bumps are osteotomy cuts.

+1

These bumps are probably the bony cuts to narrow the bony dorsum, and are often palpable, but  not visible. Do not worry about this as it is a normal result of rhinoplasty.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recent rhinoplasty

+1

You are probably feeling the osteotomy site.  Hopefully this will improve as the bone remodels.  Most of the time it is not visible but can only be felt.  Discuss with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD