What Are the Bumps on the Bridge of my Nose

I had primary open rhinoplasty two months ago. Three days after the surgery, my nose was bumped. It didn't bleed but I was still scared. I was in pain that night, but I figured the pain was from the surgery itself and not the trauma.

As of now, I have a bump where the osteomity was performed. I can feel the outline of the bone on the right side but not on the left side. Also, the nasal bone itself is flatter on the right side of my nose than the left. Could my right nasal bone have collapsed?

Bump or Asymmetry Post-Rhinoplasty and Trauma

+1

As you get further out from your surgery and the swelling abates you will feel certain underlying bony changes from the surgery. I have a simple rule of thumb....its not what you feel but only how you look. If you feel something from the surgery (or trauma ) but it does not show in the mirror don't worry about it. However if you see a bump or asymmetry see your surgeon and have the problem addressed as needed.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose bumped after Rhinoplasty

+1

Ok, you didn't mention whether, or not you had a cast on your nose when you bumped it.  If you felt pain after the bump, that persisted into the night, you did hit your nose with sufficient force to move your nasal bones after osteotomies...which make the nasal bones completely movable during a Rhinoplasty.  You should be seen by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty ASAP for evaluation.

I have done Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have had patients hit their noses after Rhinoplasty in all sorts of circumstances...some moved the nasal bones while others did not.  I advise all my Rhinoplasty patients to put an invisible shield for 2 feet in front of their face for 1 month after the Rhinoplasty until the nasal bones are set.

Rhinoplasty and trauma

+1

Hi,

It can be a common problem, suffering nasal trauma after rhinoplasty.  If you had a splint in place, (which is usually the case for the first 5-7 days after rhinoplasty), this would have help protect your nose.  With that said, I know it has been two months, I would suggest waiting a little longer.  The swelling may not have come down all the way and if the left side is more swollen than the right, then it will come down to be the same size as the right.  I would wait, make an appoint to see your surgeon and see how it goes.

At the six month mark, it should be fully healed.  At that point, if you still have the problem, bring it up to your surgeon and see what he/she suggests.  There are a few options from injectible materials all the way up to surgery that can help...but you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD