Bumps and Ridges from Double Eye Lid Surgery? (photo)

I'm post double eyelid surgery for 3 weeks 4 days and am concerned with the tiny bumps/ridges at the incision line. Is this normal? I have used scar gel Derma E. I went back to the doctor's office and was given kelo-cote. I also have been treating this as a stye...with warm compresses. When I do go out, I apply makeup and am afraid it's not good 4 the incision lines to heal. Please tell me these bumps at this stage in my healing is normal. Why are these bumps appearing and how can I treat them.

Upper Eyelid Incision Issues

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It appears that you have some raised areas that may represent suturing beneath the skin.  This should continue to improve over the next 4-6 weeks.  I  would not recommend wearing makeup for you during this period.  You have already had treatment for a sty.  Time will aid in the improvement of your incisions.

Dr. ES

Bumps on incision after eyelid surgery

+1

It looks like there are some marks from the sutures as well as a little puckering of the skin along the incision in certain places. The incision also looks fairly pink. Scar color fades over several months (and even years), and puckering of scars smooths out for up to a year after surgery. Scar massage may help smooth things, and using sunscreen/sunglasses will minimize discoloration of the scar. You can apply make up, since makeup safe enough to use for the eyes is safe for healed incisions.  Most scars look their worst about 2 months after surgery, so don't be worried if things don't get better very quickly.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks After Eyelid Surgery and Concern about Scars

+1

At 3 weeks, you have many months ahead of you before you will have a mature scar.  I do not appreciate the bumps in the picture, but slight irregularities at the suture line are normal and smoothing of the incision should occur with time.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Eyelid bumps

+1

I would recommend that you massage the eyelids several times per day. This is normal in some people following eyelid surgery, and I have only seen it require revision one time. Using the scar creams is a good idea, but most likely the incision line will smooth out with time. If you are covering the scar with makeup, make sure it is a good quality, mineral-based makeup that will actually help the incision heal and not be detrimental.

Andrew M. Schneider, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Bumps and ridges after surgery

+1

Some redness and bumpiness is expected after surgery.  The area seems slightly more red than usual.  Usually scar treatments are not necessary for this type of surgery.  There is really nothing that is truly effective to make scars fade faster other than time.  I would suggest waiting 6-12 months to see your final result.  If a revision is necessary, it is a small procedure to revise the scar.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon