Uneven swelling when bumping nose PO, does that mean it will heal unevenly?

I have a one year old, and it is very hard because he keeps bumping into my nose. I feel like the right side of my nose is a little more tender and swollen that the left side of my nose. Does this mean it is damaged and I am going to have one side bigger than the other? I had my rhinoplasty done exactly 3 weeks ago. Help please!

Revision rhinoplasty following trauma

+1
Your question is a good one. I have had two patients with similar problems. The first was a nanny who was hit in the nose by a toddler exactly three weeks following her primary rhinoplasty. The trauma was so bad that it broke her cartilage strut, resulting in severe dropping of her tip. I had to take her back for a revision with rib cartilage graft, and she now looks fantastic. The other patient was kicked in the nose five days after her revision rhinoplasty. I believe that she too fractured a graft or two following the trauma. I am currently preparing to perform her revision with rib cartilage as well.

Uneven swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1
Uneven swelling is very common and is unlikely to affect the final result of a rhinoplasty. If you are concerned after a specific even(getting bumped hard) then contact your surgeon for a follow up appointment to check it out.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing from Rhinoplasty

+1
This is a fairly common occurrence in patients with small children, puppies, or restless husbands sleeping next to them. Bumps, nudges, thrown toys, arm across the face during sleep, an unwanted kiss from a bulldog, are many of the unfortunate events we hear about as surgeons. With this said, and thousands of rhinoplasty's performed I have not had a patient have any problems that harmed their long term healing or their final result. You must try to protect your nose in this early stage of recovery, be as careful as you can, and see your surgeon for a check up to make sure nothing serious has happened. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

+1
You really need to be careful.  Your nose is in the early healing process.  See your Plastic Surgeon for an exam to determine if any damage has been done.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD