Small Bump After Tummy Tuck

5 days ago, (16 days Tummy Tuck post-op) I noticed a bump between my breastbones. I think it's a suture. I called my doctor and he said not to worry about it. It doesn't hurt, it's not swollen nor red. It's just a bump right below the skin. Do I need to have it looked at? I still can't wear pants or anything around my stomach. I can't even touch my stomach because it's so tight. What can I do?

Still very early after Tummy Tuck

+1

You are only a little over two weeks out from your procedure. What you are feeling can be very normal. However, the best person to advise you is your surgeon who can actually examine you in person. Advice you get based on photos will be very limited and potentially misleading. See your surgeon and let him guide you.

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

It's likely a stitch

+1

During a tummy tuck the rectus or six pack muscles are sutured together in the midline on most patients. To do this most surgeons us permanent suture but some still use absorbable. Many surgeons also start the stitch from the top of the muscles, ie where the bump is. Most of the suture that we use is very slippery and therefore we have to put a lot of knots in it to prevent it from unraveling. Thus the bump you have.

If your surgeon used absorbable suture it will eventually go away. If he used permanent suture it will have to be removed after you're fully healed.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Could be several things

+1

This could be several things. Your pictures are a little hard to discern, but you look quite thin. This could be your xiphoid, which is the tip of your sternum and can be palpable in thin patients. It could also be a suture, especially if the knot was not buried - discuss this with your surgeon so that he or she can reassure you of their particular technique.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Changes after tummy tuck surgery

+1

Hi, you'll notice various changes in swelling and the appearance of your abdomen within the first 6 weeks following a tummy tuck. There may be swelling and occasionally fluid collections under the skin. It is not unusual that you cannot wear pants at this early stage; some patients wear sweatpants during this time to avoid any constriction. The tight sensation is also normal, and will relax over the next several weeks. Be careful to avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise. Regarding the bump, follow your surgeon's advice and mention it at your next office visit if it has not resolved by then. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Still very early after tummy tuck to be tight

+1

It is still very early and I would closely follow you surgeon's advice. You belly will relax with thime and you should wait.

In the meantime, contact your physician for suggestions suchs as  scar massage, etc.