Why Would There Still Be a Bump if Surgeon Said He Shaved it Completely Down? (Photos)?

I recently just had a closed Rhinoplasty on July 20th & had my bump shaved down. It has been 2 months since my surgery and when I look in the mirror, i still see a small, tiny bump. It is evident that he shaved it down, but could it be possible that it wasn't shaved down completely? When I asked him about it at my 1 month post-op, he said he made sure, when on the operating table, that the bump was completely gone. He said it is just swelling but when I press on it, I still feel bone. Help?!

Bump remains after rhinoplasty

+2

After two months, the bump up on the bridge of your nose will probably stay. Avoid steroid injections as they will cause skin to thin and not have a lasting effect of the bone or cartilage underneath. You should wait at least six months more to consider a revision.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Bump

+2

You are still early in thehealing curve> However, I suggest that you keep masaging the spot with some pressure. That alone may solve the problem. Stick close to your doctor. he may consider kennalog injections

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

Septorhinoplasty Performed 5 Days Ago, Sneezed Today Should I Be Worried?

+1

There may still be a slight dorsal bump that appears to be bone.  The results look great and you should have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

+1

Yes it appears as a VERY slight residual swelling, scar, hump but the result does look good. It is a very personal decision if additional filing is the correct course. 

Adequate Or Inadequate Hump Reduction In Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common in the early time period after a rhinoplasty that the swelling from hump reduction can still make it look like there is a small bump there. But if it feels hard, it is likely that a small residual hump is still there. Since it is only two months, however, I would give it a full 6 months to be certain that there is no effect from swelling. During a closed rhinoplasty, the most common method for a hump reduction is rasping. For some humps, however, this may not be adequate given that most humps are composed of both bone and cartilage. With rasping alone, it may look and feel like the hump is adequately reduced when it is not.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Nose bridge irregularity may be temporary

+1

Depending on the technique used to address the bridge of the nose, some irregularity may be noticeable after one or two months, after some of the swelling (but not all) has resolved.

If the nasal bones have been freed with osteotomies, they may shift a bit during the healing process.  This could be temporary or permanent, but it is not possible to determine which one until a few months have passed.

It is usually best to allow the nose to heal completely (9 to 12 months) before making any assessment on the nature or the possible  treatment of any irregularity.  In fact, what is visible at two months may not be at four months, and it may simply disappear in time as the bones and cartilage shift position and take permanent relationships with each other.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bump after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although no decision should be made about your results until 1 year it is possible to make some generalizations. If the bump you feel is firm, it is likely related to having some bone present. It could be that the bone was properly reduced, but the cartilage could be taken down too much which results in the bone appearing higher.  It is impossible to tell without seeing you in person or evaluating the formal pre and post op photos.  Be patient and stay in contact with your physician as this may continue to evolve over time.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

If the bump on your nose doesn't disappear, after your Rhinoplasty Surgery, you may want to consider an Injectable Filler.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

My hunch is that the small bump on your nasal bridge will be permanent, especially since you say it feels firm. Plus, you do not appear to have a lot of rhinoplasty-related swelling. If the bump is bothersome, you may want to consult a facial plastic surgeon familiar with the delicate art of using fillers in the nasal bridge. Your bump is so small, it should be relatively straightforward to camouflage it: without further surgery. I prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have very good result this early after your surgery

+1

You may see the final results of the rhinoplasty in 6-12 months post surgery.Please follow your surgeons instructions.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon