Bump on Nose, What Should I Do?

Hello, I've been considering a nose job for 2 years.(I'm 15 years old) I have this bump on my nose that makes my nose look much bigger than it actually is. Is it possible to have the bump removed,without changing the rest of the nose? I really like the way the tip of my nose looks, so I dont want to change that. My main concern is that my nose doesn't fit my face, it looks good from the front, but I just don't like the way it looks from the side. Hope to hear from you soon.

Bump on Nose, What Should I Do?

+2

You will want to find a board certified surgeon who is very comfortable with closed rhinoplasty techniques.  You can absolutely have this surgery where only the bump is adjusted to appropriately straighten your profile and expect to retain the shape of the tip of your nose.  A closed procedure will also limit your healing time and decrease the likelihood of any long term assymetry to the nose.  Cheers. Dr. Shep

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing nasal bump only

+2

It is certainly possible to address only your nasal bump without changing the appearance of your tip.

The main concern is to make sure the middle third of your nose has adequate support after the bump removal so that it doesn't narrowing over time due to the healing process. Spreader grafts (using cartilage from your septum) can be placed to do this and to make sure your breathing isn't affected by the surgery.

It's hard to tell from your photos but it may be helpful to build up your bridge somewhat toward the top of your nose. this lessens the amount of bump that needs to be taken down.

Visit with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to see what your options are to improve your overall balance.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Subtle Rhinoplasty for Bump Removal Without Changing Remainder of Nose

+2

Hi Kimia,

It is possible to remove only the bump on the nose of selected patients....you may be one of them.  A subtle rhinoplasty can be performed where the bump is lower while the nasal tip cartilages are left alone.  This would be determined only after careful examination of your nose by an expert rhinoplasty surgeon.  Please see the web reference listed below regarding the subtle rhinoplasty.  Most importantly you must choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully!  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

Kimia, the rhinoplasty procedure can improve the shape of your nose beautifully. This procedure can be used to correct slight deformities to large ones. In other words, it is possible to have only slight change if that is what you want. Be sure to carefully and completely discuss your concern and desires with your surgeon ahead of time.

William H. Gorman, MD

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump

+2

Rhinoplasty is done to enhance appearence of nose.  Each operation is customized to each patient's unique nasal shape.  Since you are only bothered by the hump on your nose the operation can be designed just to fix your nasal hump.  

It is time to seek consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Bump on nose

+1

To correct the bump on your nose, you would require a full rhinoplasty. I feel you would get an excellent result, however, it sounds to me that you are not really sure what you want your nose to look like. I would consult with a few plastic surgeons and look at pictures of rhinoplasties they have done in which the patient originally presented with a nose similar to yours. The youngest patient I have performed rhinoplasty on was sixteen years old. Take some time to research all your options.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may be used to remove the bump on your nose.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. At this point, you should consult several reputable rhinoplasty specialists, with a parent, to see what to expect after nose job surgery. In my view, you should consider addressing your tip at the time of surgery. Your nose is a bit long, and the angle between your nose and upper lip is only 90degrees. You would probably be pleased with slight tip narrowing and rotation, along with slight nasal shortening, at the time of your surgery. During your consultations, you can see how this would look with computer-imaging.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your complaints are common and are easily addressed in rhinoplasty. You can have primarily the bump taken care of and overall tip shape preserved. However I would recommend you have some preoperative computer imaging to see what changing only the bump would do as opposed to the bump and other areas. It's not uncommon that patients notice only one feature at first but after it is fixed they become more aware of other areas that are now an issue.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on nose

+1

After looking at your pictures,  would encourage you do consider a more complete procedure. Taking the bump down will leave an open roof and you will need lateral osteotomies to close that. That will narrrow the bridge and now your tip may be out of proportion. Also your lip tip angle is not good

David A. Bray, Sr., MD