Breathing Troubles Caused by Bump on my Nose?

I have severe snoring, and trouble breathing through my nose almost always. Unless I have just left a hot shower and the steam has cleared my nasal passage, I am always having trouble breathing in through my nose. Could this bump have to do with it, my nose is leaning to one side... I have no visible polyps.

Bump on nose and breathing troubles

+1

Difficulty breathing out of the nose can be caused by many different issues, including allergies, turbinate hypertrophy, and a deviated nasal septum.  It is also caused by valve collapse and vestibular stenosis.  With the nose leaning to one side, it is likely the septum is deviated. There may be vestibular stenosis on the concave side of the nose.  Nasal and sinus polyps can also create nasal obstruction and decrease sense of smell.  Bumps on the nose are unlikely to create breathing issues.  A medically related internal nasal surgery should clear up any breathing issues.  Any work on the nose related to changing the outside shape is considered cosmetic and can be done at the same time.  The patient is responsible for paying the cosmetic portion of the surgery and any medically related function is billed to the patient’s medical insurance.  

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Breathing Trouble and Bump on the Nose

+1

There are many possible causes for the symptoms which you describe, and the bump on the outside is not one of them.  I encourage you to see an Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Throat), who is the only specialist trained to thoroughly evaluate and treat your problem.  You may have one or more of the following : deviated nasal septum, enlarged nasal turbinates, large adenoids, allergies or nasal polyps (even if not visible to you). 

As an added benefit to you, we are trained as facial plastic surgeons, and many of us can expertly address changing whatever you don't like about the appearance of your nose with rhinoplasty at the same time the other issue(s) are taken care of!

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Could bump on nose cause snoring and breathing difficulty

+1

No, the exterior bump, on your nose is from the nasal bones and has no effect on your breathing.  The nasal airways can be restricted by a deviated septum and/or enlarged turbinates affected primarily by airborne allergies.

Snoring is also caused by movement of the soft palate and Uvula while sleeping...this can be evaluated by an Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon using a fiber optic telescope.

You should have consultations with well trained, experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons with good reputations.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Doubtful

+1

Breathing problems may be caused by multiple factors, among them are a deviated nasal septum, enlarged turbinates or allergies. An evaluation by an ENT doctor would be helpful. If you don't like the way your nose looks, that is a different issue and can be evaluated at the same time.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Functional nasal surgery, breathing difficulty, rhinoplasty, septoplasty

+1

This is a very common complaint.  The bump on the nose directly does not contribute to nasal breathing trouble.

You may have seasonal allergies that affect your nasal mucosa. In addition you may have anatomical obstruction inside your nose such as a septal deviation.  You may also have enlargement of your turbinates called inferior turbinates that also obstruct your airway.

The third component is that your framework of your nose may also be weak and may collapse with breathing.

The bump is part of the septum and part of your bone, that can be addressed to correct it if and when you have surgery.  This is of course assuming that you have a surgical problem.

The best thing to do is to see a physician who can address both your bump and your breathing problems. There are ways to do this endoscopically and preserve and minimize any injury to vital mucoas of the nose.

Good Luck

Plantation Plastic Surgeon