Bump on my Nose - Fix Deviated Septum and/or File Hump?

I have a slight bump on my nose but My nose is a bit longer and the tip is prominent and wider...would it look bad if my septum was straightened out and the bump filed down while leaving the rest the same (which is what my plastic Surgeon wanted to do because my insurance would cover my deviated septum so he was just gonna file down and move bones around)? or should I just leave it alone till I can afford a full rhinoplasty? Here is a pic of my nose.

Septoplasty for dorsum resection?

+1
I'm not sure if I understand but you are undergoing a septoplasty to reduce the dorsum?  Insurance companies cover septoplasties, but if they notice that it was done for cosmetic and not functional issues, they may refuse to pay.  You would be responsible for all costs which may be more than if you decided to pursue a cosmetic correction.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Full rhinoplasty with septoplasty for nasal bump and deviated septum

+1

The rhinoplasty and the septoplasty operations are two completely different operations performed on the nose. The rhinoplasty operation involves filing the hump down, narrowing the nasal bridge, and making any changes to the tip of the nose. Straightening a deviated septum (septoplasty) is an internal procedure done when there is a blockage of airflow in the back portion or the posterior portion of the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose whatsoever.  

Full Rhinoplasty

+1

Without examining you in person, it is difficult to tell what exactly is needed for your surgery.  However, targeted areas for a rhinoplasty is usually not the best idea.  Your nose should be addressed as a whole since making changes in one aspect may negatively affect another.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Reduce bump and tip

+1

It is difficult to assess your septum from this view. I would agree that your hump is subtle but it is consistent with your nasal tip. If you have your hump alone reduced, the tip may be disproportionately large. This is completely an aesthetic judgement, but I would recommend reducing the size of the tip as well.

Septorhinoplasty

+1

If you have a functional problem, such as breathing obstruction, your insurance company will probably pay for a portion of the surgery to straighten the septum. Cosmetic changes will not be covered, but if you do a complete septorhinoplasty only one operation will be necessary and your total out of pocket costs will be less. If possibe, I suggest you borrow funds or wait until you can save enough money . 

Bump on nose

+1

It is not the best idea to neglect certain aspects of a rhinoplasty due to a financial restriction. Omitting a potentially necessary part of surgery may result in problems down the road, and a result that is not as good as it could be. It would be best to wait until you are ready to commit to a full procedure, and go from there. It is difficult to determine exactly what you would need without performing an examination. Please feel free to ask me any specific questions about rhinoplasty surgery, and call the office anytime if you wish to schedule a consultation. My contact info is listed in my profile. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

It is best to fix a deviated septum and nasal hump at the same time

+1

Rarely do people actually need "just' a bump removed from their nose. Often as the nose is altered, other areas need to be addressed to maintain balance. Since a deviated septum repair may also be necessary, make sure you see a specialist in nasal surgery, inside and out. Facial Plastic Surgeons are trained to treat nasal function as well as cosmetic issues. So, find the best nose specialists you can and have a long discussion about your goals and desired.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Profile-Plasty versus Full Rhinoplasty

+1

Ultimately, the choice of what is best for you should be determined by you.

Looking at your photo, it does appear that there is some volume excess or "bulbosity" of the tip. It is possible and likely that a profile reduction alone may accentuate your tip volume. Everything in the nose is relative.

However, many people are not bothered by certain features and even want to retain features that a plastic surgeon may otherwise think need correction.

The best way to determine if you will be happy with a limited correction is to have an imaging consultation. If the images provide you with the result that you want, then you should be happy. You may also find that the imaging makes you decide to wait until you can afford the full procedure.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a complex group of surgical procedures that should all be considered before scheduling surgery

+1

You should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon tho discuss the entire procedure and expected results of a Rhinoplasty and septal work. It seems that you have some other issues with your nose that should be addressed at the same time. The nose needs to be brought into harmony with the tip, mid vault and boney dorsum. Septal work can and should be done at the same time if indicated. It is rare that a patient can have a significant improvement with just taking off the dorsal hump. This usually leads to other issue that need to be addressed at the time of the Rhinoplasty. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Rhinoplasty for hump and septum correction.

+1

Dear NosED,

I have looked at your picture, and I would agree with the other doctors who have answered above.  You should have the full rhinoplasty and septoplasty done together when you can afford the full costs.

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills.

Behrooz Torkian, MD