Rhinoplasty for Bump Only?

Hello! I have a bump on the nose and I have always thought about having my nose done. The thing is I quite like everything else about my nose - except that it is certainly not an attractive nose profile. What I really wanted is to just get rid of that bump. (without having to change everything else - specially the tip) and I was wondering.. Is there any possibility that If I just get rid of the bump, the tip might "fall down"?? I've been to a few doctors and some said that they reckon the tip might fall down and some others (including a specialist in face reconstruction) said there is no way it could fall. Could you help me? Thank you!

Rhinoplasty to remove bump

+1

Removing the bump will not make the tip fall. A very small bump can be filed down without breaking the nasal bones. A moderate or large nasal bump can be removed, but the nasal sidewalls will have to be narrowed in order to prevent a flat top or open roof deformity. This bony work on the bridge can be done without changing the nasal tip. 

Rhinoplasty for hump only

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very individualized surgery.  Most times a nasal bump can be taken down without adversely effecting the tip.  Often this will give a supra-tip break to the nose and give more highlight to the tip so it looks more refined. 

See an experienced nose surgeon.  See his photos.  Take photos of what you think are good looking noses.  have a frank discussion about your goals, (realistic)...  Together you will come up with an appropriate plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Nose Hump Removal

+1

Regarding: "Rhinoplasty for Bump Only?
Hello! I have a bump on the nose and I have always thought about having my nose done. The thing is I quite like everything else about my nose - except that it is certainly not an attractive nose profile. What I really wanted is to just get rid of that bump. (without having to change everything else - specially the tip) and I was wondering.. Is there any possibility that If I just get rid of the bump, the tip might "fall down"?? I've been to a few doctors and some said that they reckon the tip might fall down and some others (including a specialist in face reconstruction) said there is no way it could fall. Could you help me? Thank you
!"

There are no "ALWAYS" or "NEVER" in Medicine. Things CAN happen. For this reason we always balance the extent of the disease, discomfort or deformity against the potential risks.

Without an examination or even a photograph it is impossible to begin to advise you on what may be the likely scenario in your case. Usually, a small nasal hump may be able to be smoothed without affecting the entire nose. If the hump is taller or wider the removal may need to be associated with in-breaking the nose as well. What the nasal tip will do under the latter conditions would depend on the surgical technique and the resulting post surgery scarring process which tends to pull the tip up.

As an alternative, the hump may be masked by putting filler next to it ("Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty") thereby straightening the dorsum.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hump removal

+1

I doubt seriously that a simple hump removal will cause any significant drooping (ptosis) of your nasal tip. There are some individauls with thick skinned heavy noses, that have weak tip support, who need columella struts to prevent drooping after this kind of surgery....... but if you have a nice tip as you say, I doubt that you fall into this catagory. Leave the tip alone if it is already nice and just go for the hump removal.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nasal Hump Only Without Affecting the Rest of The Nose

+1

If you have a narrow nose with a dorsal hump and you tip is in good position, the hump can be removed without having to address the other portions of your nose.  I suspect the surgeon who mentioned your tip falling may have considered doing your surgery using an open technique, which will affect tip support.  However, for removing a dorsal hump, a closed approach is ideal and will not affect tip support as much.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Bump Only

+1

Every rhinoplasty should be individualized. You can have the bump removed without changing the entire nose and without risk of your tip falling. Choose an experienced surgeon.

Hump removal rhinoplasty: often performed without tip collapse

+1

Quite frequently humps are removed from noses without having the tip collapse. I would suggest that you keep looking until you find a surgeon who performs rhinoplasty often enough so that they are not concerned about this unlikely complication.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

A small bump on the nose can ceretainly be treated without changing the tip. Howver, I would have to perform an exam to be sure.

Rhinoplasty for Bump Only

+1

I agree with the previous posters BUT you failed to post photos of the frontal and side view! My guess is your tip will not fall but look more upwards. Best of luck. 

Nasal hump removal and optical illusions

+1

Commonly when a hump is reduced there is an optical illusion that the tip is actually rotated upwards. Conversely when a hump is present, it may make the nose appear longer with a downward appearance to the tip.