Bump on Mole Excision Scar? (photo)

I had a mildly atypical mole completely excised. It's been over a month and the scar healed nicely but in the last week a small bump with a dark center has developed on it. I'm just worried that this might be the mole coming back or worse. Could this just be a hair follicle trapped? If the mole were to come back would it be able to break the surface through the scar? I mean this was a full excision surgery not like a shave so I don't know how likely it is that the mole will come back. Thank you.

Scar bump

+1

This looks like a "spitting suture" - a suture that was placed deep under the skin is working itself out. It is a problem that occurs with both absorbable and nonabsorbable sutures.  You may want to stop by the surgeon's office for a look and see.

Columbus Dermatologist

Bump on scar one month after excision of a mole

+1

If absorbable sutures were used at the time of your excision, this bump with a dark center is likely to be one of the sutures that was placed close to the surface. They sometimes appear weeks after the surgery as the work their way to the surface and out of the skin rather than being absorbed. Whenever I excise a growth on the face, for the best cosmetic result I will always do a "layer closure" using both deeper, absorbable sutures and superficial non-absorbable sutures. If you have concerns, you should contact the physician who did your surgery.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Bump on mole excision

+1

This is most likely the wound still healing and the scar developing. But it's best to go back to the office and have it checked if you think something is changing or you are concerned. It's always best to follow-up with the physician that did the procedure because he or she will know exactly what was there and what might be developing.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD