Will This Bump in my Abs Ever Disappear? Is Hiperfibrosis? (photo)

Hi there! Three months ago I got liposuction in my tummy, but now I have a big bump in my left ab. And even though I took the 20 recomended therapy sessions, this bump started to be more visible and easy to touch (like a "spring roll" inside me). I asked my doctor and he just told me to wait and to give myself a massage with a rolling pin, but regardless how constantly I give myself massage, day after day this bumb (and uneven tissue) doesn't seem to get any improvement. Thanks :), Paulina

I think you will likely need revisional surgery.

+1

You may get some improvement with time but my guess, from your photos, is that you are going to be left with some contour deformities a.k.a. divots.  The occurence of liposuction divots seems to be increasing with increased use of laser liposuction and with more aggressive liposuction. 

It's a whole lot more difficult to fix a divot than it is to do a little more liposuction on an area that has been under liposuctioned.  Fixing a divot usually involves transferring some fat to the area to fill it in and smooth it out and it often requires more than one transfer session.  It is important to wait until the area is nice and soft before doing fat transfer.  Once it is soft, see what your surgeon recommends. If he/she cannot help you, seek a second opinion from a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who has experience with fat transfer.

Unevenness following liposuction.

+1

Thanks for your question.  I think you are doing everything to help and improve the situation with the massage and waiting for time to pass by.  Based on your photo I would say that at least some of the contour irregularity will be permanent.  I would agree to give yourself at least 6 months to go by before you decide if something further needs to be done.  I hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Contour issue after liposuction

+1

Your irregularity or contour issue is likely going to be permanent if it has not improved much by three months.  I would give it more time and get re-evaluated.

Lumpiness after liposuction

+1

Hi Paulina,

Thank you for the photos.Although you are still healing and your results might improve slightly, you will end up with an irregular lumpy result. There's an unnatural horizontal crease under your right rib cage, grooving in lower abdomen, residual fat around the belly button. You most likely will require revision of your liposuction surgery. This is not easy and might require more than one surgery to correct this. Unfortunately, I see more and more patients like this (most had Smartlipo at other offices). I often do a VASER release without suction for the deeply scarred areas and fat grafting at a second session. Ocassionally, lower abdominal skin excision is required. These are difficult problems to correct and are never as good as if you would've had the procedure done appropriately by an experienced plastic surgeon in the first place. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Bump After Liposuction

+1

Dear Paulina,

Patience is key as you may still have some postop swelling. The final results from liposuction are often not seen until 6-12 months after the procedure as your skin may continue to tighten.

Massage can help speed up your recovery. Use of external radiofrequency or ultrasound treatments may also help.

Your bump may or may not improve with time. It looks as if you may have stretch marks and some loose skin. If it does not improve, please see your plastic surgeon or an expert in liposuction revision.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Post-liposuction defects

+1

the bump thats shown in the pics looks more like a contour defect which might not completely resolve. it might improve though. I cant say for sure. Ive seen these types of defects more commonly with SmartLipo. Im not sure if that was also used to do ur liposuction?. u will lilely require correction of the defects.

Misbah Khan, MD

Bump after Liposuction at 3 months

+1

Wait at least 6 months as you still have swelling.  I would like you to think about doing a short scar tummy tuck to get the best result as you have skin wrinkling that will not be fixed with liposuction.

Bump after liposuction

+1

Thanks for your question and photos, Paulina.  From the photos it appears that you have a contour deformity, but since you are still early in the stages of healing, this could just be localized swelling.  I would wait another few months before considering revision liposcution to the area.  It does also appear that the skin is loose, and the concern would be will it tighten up any more.  Once again I would wait another few months.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD