Bump on Eyelid 1 Year After Blepharoplasty Surgery?

I had an upper eyelid blepharoplasty 1 year ago. A few months after surgery, I noticed a small whitish bump on my eyelid. My PS told me it was a stitch under my eyelid that could easily be removed. Now he's telling me it might be a whitehead type thing, or a stitch, and that to remove it may make my eye droop again. It hurts a little to touch it. I don't really think my PS knows what it is, so I thought maybe someone else would?

Epithelial inclusion cyst..

+1

A white bump along the incision line is most commonly an "epithelial inclusion cyst" or often referred to as a "milia". The fact that it is sensitive to touch and significant enough for you to be concerned about means it should be addressed in some way in my opinion. If your surgeon is reluctant to pursue your concern, it may be advisable to seek a surgeon with extensive experience with eyelid surgery who would be more comfortable dealing with your problem.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hmmm...I think you need another opinion.

+1

It sound very much like you have an inclusion cyst that can form along the suture line.  These are unrelated to suture.  It is very much likely that this is not caused by a retained suture.  Being told that removing it can undo your surgery is silly.  These can very simply be shelled out often under the slit lamp without  needing any anesthesia.  A little nick is made in the skin and the epithelial cyst pops out with a bit of pressure.  Visual inspection generally confirms the diagnosis.  I recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon to assist you.

Bump

+1

Get a second opinion with a Cosmetic Surgeon or a Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgeon if you do not feel comfortable with the information you are receiving currently.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How To Treat a Bump on the Eyelid 1 year After a Blepharoplasty

+1

If the bump is in the suture line, it is either a remnant of a suture placed at the time of surgery or a lesion in the skin likely related to the surgery. In either case it should be easy to  remove. I can't imagine that removing it would cause drooping of your eyelid. It's never a bad idea to get a second opinion. I would do your research, find a surgeon that does a lot of blepharoplasty surgery, and schedule an appointment. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A year after eyelid surgery the whitish bump could be an internal suture used for fixation of the upper eyelid creases.  You might want to see a plastic and cosmetic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon for another  opinion.

Consultation with Oculoplastics Surgeon or Ophthalmologist

+1

Oculoplastic surgeons and Ophthalmologists deal with eyelid lesions very frequently. I would recommend a consultation with one.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Results

+1

Hailey, without seeing a photo it is not possible to say what the problem is. There are many causes for eyelid bumps, most of which are unrelated to your blepharoplasty. If the bump is small, whitish and on the suture line, it is probably a milium. These can be easily removed.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon