How Long After Osteotomy Do I Have to Wait Before Having Bump Filed Down?

How long do I have to wait before I can have the bump on the side of my nose, caused by the osteotomy that was done during rhinoplasty, filed down? It feels like bone and not swelling at all. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. Is the recovery of filing down the bump easier than the rhinoplasty recovery?

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

Be patient. It is vey early and that area may not be as noticeable with time. It takes at least one year for swelling to go down and the nose really changes during that period.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Bump after Osteotomy

+1

Wait about 6 months before deciding if removal of a persistent bump is necessary. This would be a minor procedure compared to your original rhinoplasty.

Osteotomy Nasal Bump Removal for Rhinoplasty

+1

First, one needs to wait an appropriate length of time before considering revision rhinoplasty procedures. Revision procedures range widely and may be minor or major.

Nasal bones that are reshaped with rhinoplasty are mobile. These nasal bones gradually become more stable with time. For several weeks after the initial nasal surgery, nasal bones may still be molded in the office as desired. Small bony bumps, deviations, or asymmetry might be treated in such a manner, if appropriate. Nasal reshaping also may create small loose, bone fragments. After at least 6 months, rasping or shaving may be appropriate in certain patients. This bone rasping may be performed in the office with local anesthesia, or surgical facility with general anesthesia as needed.

Raise any concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon and to help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on Side of Nose After Osteotomy

+1

Hi in Montreal,

Be patient.  The osteotomy line is often times swollen and will go down over time.  Most likely you should not need further surgery.  If you continue to have the same concerns 6 to 12 months from now, then you should have the discussion about revision  surgery with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Bump removal after osteotomy.

+1

At least wait 3-6 months for the swelling to go sown. This is minor compared to a full rhinoplasty.