Bump on the Bridge of my Nose After Being Head Butted

I was head butted during a soccer game, which left a somewhat sore nose and a cut on the bridge of my nose. I did not bleed from my nose (other than the cut) and there was no bruising. Also, my nose looked straight, so i found no need to go to the doctor. Now, after a week, the cut is still healing, but there seems to be a bump on the bridge of my nose under the cut. What would cause this? Am I going to have to get corrective surgery?

Soccer Head Butt to Nose, New Bump

Hi r,

The periostium of the nasal bones (the thin, tight fibrous tissue lining on bones) can be inflammed after trauma and form a temporary bump.  Most of the time, the bump will go down with time.  Most likely you will not need corrective surgery as long as you stay away from unscrupulous surgeons looking to make their mortgage payment off of your nose.  If it is still present in 6 to 12 months, and it bothers you, then consult with a few rhinoplasty surgeons. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on nose after trauma

Its impossible to know initially whether the bump will be permanent or not.  If there is a laceration, this will cause significant swelling of the soft tissues.  A blunt injury hard enough to cause a laceration is certainly hard enough to fracture the nasal bones as well.  See a nasal specialist who can evaluate your nose and help determine if there is a mobile fracture or not.  Soft tissue swelling can persist for several weeks to several months depending on the amount of injury.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Trauma From Sports

It’s not unusual for patients to suffer nasal trauma while participating in sports. The nose is the leading edge of the face and therefore subject to trauma of all types. This trauma can affect the bone, cartilage and soft tissue.

Although, the bump on your nasal bride might be related to a nasal fracture, it’s probably more likely related to the soft tissue injury associated with your nasal laceration. When this type of injury occurs it’s not unusual for patients to develop soft tissue swelling beneath the laceration. This is a normal part of soft tissue healing which tends to resolve with time.

A physical examination would help determine if an underlying nasal fracture is present, but in some cases this can’t be determined until swelling has resolved. In your cases, the presence of a straight nose doesn’t necessarily mean that a fracture isn’t present. In some cases the only manifestation of a nasal fracture is the presence of a dorsal hump.

In most cases, clinically significant nasal fractures will become obvious with the passage of time as swelling resolves. Under these circumstances, reconstructive rhinoplasty may become necessary.

Bump on the bridge of the nose after being head butted

Blunt trauma to the nose can result in a displaced fracture of the nasal bones, or a non displaced fracture of the nasal bones. In any event, a callus can form over the area of injury because bone and cartilage are still living tissue. Best to get an x-ray of your nasal bones immediately after the trauma and seek a consultation examination with an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to determine whether or not it needs to be reset.

Bump on Bridge after Nasal Trauma

Without examination , it is impossible to answer your question. Even if you broke your nose swelling can be temporary as long as the bones were not displaced. You can consult with a surgeon now or wait 6 months to see if the bump persists.

Bump on Nose after Trauma

Without examining you or with imaging studies, it is impossible to know if your nose is broken.  However, if the bump appeared several days after the trauma, it is more likely that you are experiencing tissue response to healing / scar tissue.  You should be examined by a doctor, but there is no hurry.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Nasal surgery

The tissues react to trauma by becoming firm. What you are experiencing is not unusual. After the cut is healed begin massaging the area with vit E or lotion. It is unlikely the bump is due to calcium deposition in the bone this soon after the injury. Give it 8-12 months and it should resolve.

Benjamin Schlechter, MD, FACS
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Yes as my previous colleagues have in general posted, it most likely is swelling under the laceration. Allow healing time. I also recommend to see in person a boarded surgeon who will examine the area of the nose and even maybe order an X ray. This could show a nasal fracture. Than you can determine if reconstructive nasal surgery is an option. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 305 598 0091

Nasal bump after trauma

The bump on your nose may be the result of the swelling that develops from thr trauma you sustained. You should give it some time to resolve first.

Swelling after a nasal injury

After any injury to the nose, especially after a cut on the bridge, there will be swelling and bruising. The tissue under the cut is inf lammed and reactive but will settle down over time, and the bump should resolve. Be patient with the healing, and after the cut is completely healed you can massage the area with a product such as Mederma to help soften and reduce the scar and provide some sun protection.

peterejohnsonmd