Unhappy With The Bump on Bony Part of the Nose 3 Months Post Op (photo)

Hello, I'm three months post rhinoplasty and I have a small gap on the top of my nasal pyramid, the bony part of the nose. The top is a little higher than it should be, it's like a hole between my side bone and my upper bone. On the outside it looks like bump. My doctor said I should massage it and if it won't bend, I would have to go to correct it. Is this something normal at this time and if there are any chances it will correct itself naturally?

Dorsal Nasal Bump ("Polly-beak Deformity) 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Dave,

Most likely it is not something that will correct itself.  It appears that you have a small "polly-beak" deformity.  If you were my patient I would inject a very small quantity of Restylane or Juvederm to "fill the gap" for the time being.  If you are still concerned or unhappy with your profile 12 months after your rhinoplasty, then a revision procedure can be done.  Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding your concerns.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Bump After Surgery

+1

A slightly deformity after osteotomies (breaking the bones) is more common than we as surgeons would like to believe.  Your surgeon is correct in telling you to wait.. After two months, the bones will likely not move to manipulation.  In addition, sometimes everything looks great initially, but as the bones heal a bump can form.  All of this can be corrected at a later surgey 9 months to a year later.  Go back to your initial surgeon if the trust in there. 

Brian J. Reagan, MD
Carlsbad Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy With The Bump on Bony Part of the Nose 3 Months Post Op

+1

It might.  Only time (next several months) will tell if this slight indentation will decrease.  If it's still there at 6 months, it might require a slight modification of the nasal bones above and the dorsal cartilage below this area.  You should continue following the post Rhinoplasty instructions given to you by your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

+1

I see the very slight bony hump than an inferior to that depression, than a slight supra tip elevation. If truly unhappy consider revision now. 

Minor bump after rhinoplasty

+1

At 3 months postop, I would highly encourage you to avoid any surgical correction of this subtle fullness or bump.    A small amount of steroid may be injected if it is felt that the bump represents scar tissue.  However, sometimes this may be due to a malpositioned cartilage graft.  Only your surgeon can truly have a better idea of why there is a bump.  I do agree that a small amount of an injectable filler such as Juvederm or Restylane can help smooth out the transition between the supratip and the bony pyramid.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Minor irregularities after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Dave, I agree with Dr. Persky and that now is not the time for anything drastic like revisionary surgery.  It is far too early and you are still very swollen.  I think this is some swelling in the supratip and in my patients I use a minimal amount of steroid injection one or two times to see if that treats it.  I have also used fillers as a temporary measure until all the swelling resolves and a touch up can be performed.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon